Upgrading original Mac mini to Tiger

peterhart

Registered
I have been running Panther 10.3.9 successfully with no problems on a Mac mini(1.25 GHz PowerPC G4, 256 mb ram,firewire,20 gig free space).
Having purchased Tiger 10.4.2 (AHT version 1.1) for the Mac mini, each time I try to install I get the message :
"This software cannot be installed on this computer"
Any ideas???

peterhart said:
I have been running Panther 10.3.9 successfully with no problems on a Mac mini(1.25 GHz PowerPC G4, 256 mb ram,firewire,20 gig free space).
Having purchased Tiger 10.4.2 (AHT version 1.1) for the Mac mini, each time I try to install I get the message :
"This software cannot be installed on this computer"
Any ideas???

I had the EXACT same problem. I bought a mini with Panther, and it came with a Tiger upgrade disk, which gave me the message that you are getting. Apparently, some of the Tiger disks just don't work with the Mini. So, I called Apple and they sent me a new disk, free of charge.

As suggessted above, you will want to contact Apple about the disc problem.

To get the most out of Tiger you may really want to consider upgrading the memory to 512 or 1GB. Even 10.3.9 for me with 256MB was very slow. After I upgraded it to 512 it's snappier than ever.

riccbhard said:
As suggessted above, you will want to contact Apple about the disc problem.

To get the most out of Tiger you may really want to consider upgrading the memory to 512 or 1GB. Even 10.3.9 for me with 256MB was very slow. After I upgraded it to 512 it's snappier than ever.

You have a good point about the RAM. I ran Tiger on my PPC mini with:
256MB: Ran like a dog
512MB: Ran great if you only had one or two applications open
1GB: Ran great all of the time.

I bought my 1GB stick from newegg.com. I bought this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220058

Back