Upgrading Powerbook G3 from OS9.2 to 10.3

cwise

Registered
I have a Powerbook G3, bronze keyboard family M5343. I want to be able to have my kids use it for Itunes and the music for their Ipods. It currently is running OS 9.2. I need to be runnning at least 10.2.8 to use Itunes. It seems I recall being told I cannot upgrade my G3 to OS X. It doesn't have firewire so I know I can't upgrade to Tiger, but should I be able to upgrade to Panther?

Your bronze keyboard (Lombard) PowerBook will support up to OS X 10.3.9, but you will need at least the 10 GB drive, 4 GB simply is not big enough and it would be best if you maxed out the RAM as well. Apple says 384 MB is max, but you Lombard will actually support 512 MB with newer SODIMMs that are available now. Since the Lombard does not have built-in firewire you will need to use Other World Computing's XPostFacto to trick the installer into allowing the installation.

If you have to upgrade the memory and the HD on your Lombard you might consider a Mac Mini instead.

You should be able to get a PCI slot FireWire card for that machine also. You could then possibly get an external hard drive to store the music on. That would be a way around upgrading the internal drive. You can either go with a fully assembled drive or go the kit route where you supply the hard drive and assemble it yourself. The 4 gig hard drive should be enough to install Tiger (10.4).

Back