Upgrading PowerMac G5 Superdrive

AkleyMac

Registered
Hi,

I have been having problems with my PowerMac's superdrive ever since someone persuaded me to reflash the firmware to make it dual-layer, and I have finally decided to bite the bullet and replace it.

However, I am confused with what interface I need on the drive. In the System Profiler, it says the existing drive is on the ATA bus, but I was under the impression that the PowerMac G5 superdrives were IDE ATAPI - have I misunderstood something somewhere?

The drive I am looking at buying is the Sony AW-G170A - interface ATAPI IDE. Would anyone be able to tell me if this will work?

Any help much appreciated,
Tom

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply - I've checked the site, and they all seem to be IDE. I don't think I can buy from this site, as I am in the UK, but I will have a look around for a UK dealership selling these drives.

Do you know if any IDE ATAPI drive will work okay, or does it have to be "Mac compatible"? I ask as I remember back in the days of clones, the CD drives had to have special drivers, which led to all kinds of trouble when reformatting a hard drive, or even just booting off an OS CD.

Thanks again for your help,
Tom

The page I linked to is for drives for Your machine.
I think that company will ship to the UK. Send them an email and ask.

Hi Bob,

Just installed my new superdrive - its a Pioneer DVR-111D. OS X recognises it, I can read DVDs, and I am able to boot the machine off my Tiger DVD using it. Haven't tried burning anything yet - just encoding a DVD video to try it out.

Thanks a million for your help!
Tom

Back