UPGRADING RAM ON iMAC

TEKKA

Registered
I would like to upgrade my 15inch flat panel G4 imac from 256mb to 512mb ram.I have checked the apple website, and i know which i need.

Just need to know, do i have to send the computer away, or is it easy enough to do myself?

Thanks in advance!

It is easy to do yourself. Just get a large soft towel. Shut down the computer, unplug everything and place it on the towel - you want to access the bottom of the base. With a regular (phillips, I think) screwdriver, take off the bottom panel and there you are.

P.S. :) Welcome :)

bobw said:
Apple has directions for installing memory here;

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26239

I did it myself when I had my iMac 15" (I now have the 17" version which already has 512MB RAM installed). Be prepared for a VERY tight fit for the chip and a very specific way to install it. The chip slides in but you have to apply just the right amount of force to get it to snap in fully; just be careful you don't snap the RAM while you are doing it! If you feel safer, any Mac store can install it for you for a nominal fee, though the instructions that were just posted should be sufficient.

Thanks very much for the replys people.

If only i knew it was that simple i would of done it a bit sooner!

Also just wondering, is 512mb the maximum you can go with imac? That is the highest i can find on their site.

I am using it mainly for Logic 6 with a lot of plug - ins. With 1gb RAM, I could imagine it would run very smooth.

Thanks again.....

The highest is however many megabytes of RAM you get on one chip times 2. If you got 1 GB RAM modules, you could fit 2 GB into your iMac.

The maximum you can have on that cute baby is 1GB. There is one module that is factory installed. That is probably your 256 MB that shows up. So you can buy the largest chip you can find - PC133 - 144 pin SO- DIMM

Back