Upgrading Software

michinoku1

Registered
Just three weeks ago I purchased a new 1.67 ghz powerPC G4 powerbook with 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM and a 100 GB 7200 rpm HD after using an G3 ibook originally with Jaguar but upgraded to Tiger. The ibook was working perfectly fine but for my work needs its performance was mediocre and sometimes frustrating. After upgrading to Tiger and using iLife '05 it really took a turn for the worse. Video editing was out of the question. It seemed to me that Tiger was taking up much needed memory. In the end maybe I should have never upgraded to Tiger and left it at at Panther since iLife '05 was working somewhat well. I pushed the limits of the ibook too far. Anyway I upgraded to this powerbook and things are great. Video editing is now a breeze and I can do more and work better. Since this probably will be the last of the powerbooks AND powerPC how can this grow with future OS upgrades? Will they be focused on Intel performace? For instance I'd like to upgrade to iLife '06 and it's system requirements certainly fit this powerbook, but will I make the same mistake as from before?
Thanks for your thoughts and I apologize in advance for my naivete.

apple say they will support PowerPC macs as they would any of their other products. this means that they still optimise everything as much as they can for G4's as well as G5's as well as the new intel macs. iLife'06 has been designed for macs, regardless of their cpu. it will take advantage of any hardware extensions your particular processor will have. i think apple even still supports the G3's, to some extent, and these are pushing 10 years old now. you are ok for the life of that pBook.

Thanks on that and I appreciate your comments. Sorry for the late reply. I made the jump to this PowerBook so I can buffer myself and get the most out of it. Wow on that MacBook Pro though.

Back