Upgrading systems, questions on migration

qwikstreet

OS X Friendly
I've been solely using a G3 iBook since 2003 900mhz and finally bit the bullet and I am upgrading to the new low end mac. Big jump. It's like going from the beginning of the stone age to the end of the iron age. I don't think I am going to go through the migration assistant built into the preferences. One is I want to play around with the system from scratch and tinker with bits and pieces. Two, migrating all my stuff via USB1.0 on the iBook will be dreadful.

The software versions aren't too much of a jump. However, I'm throwing this out to the community if they know of any issues. My iBook is running 10.4.11 and all the first party apps are as high as possible.
1. can I just drag and drop the folder structures for iPhoto and iTunes and let it rebuild? Or is the structures differ between OS and versions that I am better of letting iTunes search my USB HD for all audio files and import it. Same goes for iPhoto.
2. iCal I have no issues with since it is a straight .ics file.
3. How about mail? Can I just drag and drop the mbox folders and files right into the library and expect all my sigs, rules, accounts, and messages to be in tact?

Am I missing everything else?

Thanks.

If you want to tinker, futz and create problems for yourself, Microsoft makes just the operating system you seem to want. On a Mac, use the Migration Assistant and use the Ethernet option if you don't want to wait on USB. After its migrated and you're all happy in your new machine with your data in the right place and permissions being correct so everything will work, then set up another user account or few to tinker and futz with.

Back