Upgrading to 10.2 from 10.1...is a format needed?

cbmeeks

Registered
I would like to keep the setting we have just done on the 10.1.5 setup.

I have 10.2 coming in the mail (only paid $14 for it...lol)

Do I have to nuke it all or can I install over the top?
Thanks!

cb

You don't have to nuke it. :)

You have three options for upgrading the system. Format and install (wipes everything), Archive & Install (preserves settings but creates fresh system folders) and Upgrade (alters files in place).

Of these i would seriously recommend Archive & Install. It doesn't nuke your drive, but it also doesn't leave bits of the old system lying around. The 'Upgrade' option is well known to cause problems later on.

On another note, when you upgrade to the latest version of 10.2, make sure you use the 10.2.8 combined updater, as its generally more reliable than the .0.1 increment ones.

With the problems that 10.1 had, I would suggest wiping the drive and completely installing fresh. 10.1 was more like a Beta and upgrading to 10.2, you'll still have files left over.

I wouldn't upgrade or do an Archive and Install over a 10.1 system.

Yeah, just to be safe I will probably nuke it.... :)

so, what does 10.2 have that I am really going to enjoy that 10.1 didn't?

Speed. it is a lot faster. Panther was faster than Jaguar, but it was not as great a leap as the one between 10.1 and jaguar. and you lose the stripes on the dock and you get a nifty searchfield at the top of the finder windows.
and a much better addressbook and it support a lot more applications by apple.

cbmeeks said:
so, what does 10.2 have that I am really going to enjoy that 10.1 didn't?
  1. Jaguar (10.2) is noticeably faster than 10.1
  2. Jaguar is more stable than 10.1
  3. There are far more device drivers available for Jaguar than there ever were for 10.1
  4. There are siginificant improvements in the included apps; Mail, AddressBook, etc.
  5. Jaguar is compatible with far more third party applications and utilities than 10.1
  6. The classic environment is more stable in Jaguar than it was in 10.1
  7. Jaguar touted over 100 new and improved features over 10.1 but I couldn't begin to list them - that has been too long ago and I have slept several times since then.
With the possible exception of item 3, this same list applies to the differences between Jaguar and Panther and between Panther and Tiger.

Why not just make the jump to Panther? I can't remember much of Jaguar, as I was new to Macs then and after a month Panther was released. What I do remember though, is that the leap made me go "Whoa....". Night and day difference.

would be foolish to pay for panther now when tiger is so close.
he got jaguar for 14 dollars, so i would say it is well worth sticking with jaguar until he can afford tiger.

Decado said:
would be foolish to pay for panther now when tiger is so close.
he got jaguar for 14 dollars, so i would say it is well worth sticking with jaguar until he can afford tiger.

You hit the nail on the head. This is actually not my Mac. So, when I can afford a new Mac (probably next year) Tiger and its updates will be there.

It seemed like everything I wanted to do was being limited by 10.1

So, $14 for 10.2 seemed to be an obvious choice. Plus, I read that 10.2 enables better networking with Windows and PPTP connections!!

Cool!

Thanks guys.

cb

Back