UPS & PayPal suck

serpicolugnut

OS X Supreme Being
Bought a used B&W G3 on eBay before Christmas. It arrives with a smashed case and it won't boot. Buyer is less than helpful, and suggests I file a claim with UPS, which I do. UPS comes and picks up broken G3 and inspects it, then ships it back to seller. UPS goes on to deny the claim. Buyer then suggests I file a claim with PayPal, since they offer their vaulted "Buyer Protection". I do just that, and they deny the claim as well.

So now I'm out $300 and the G3, which, while broken, at least could have fetched some money for spare parts.

I know I'm bitchin', but PayPal sucks. I'll never use them again. Ditto for UPS.

If the box was damaged that it came in and UPS won't help, write a letter to your State's AG's Office of Consumer Affairs. Most are very helpful.

If it wasn't damaged, and you have protection from PayPal and they won't help, write to the AG about them.

If you paid with a credit card, I would also contact your credit card company and challenge the payment. Cold be fraud on the sellers part.

If you do write to the AG, make sure you CC the Seller, UPS, ebay and PayPal.

I puchased a 19" monitor on eBay... it was shipped via UPS and I paid for it via PayPal. I get it in, and the box was damaged, but didn't appear to be overly damaged. However, the case on the monitor was smashed in. although the monitor fired up fine, it was none-the-less destroyed.

So, I go through quite a mess... seller was not being too friendly on the whole thing... I managed to get UPS to come look at it and take it back. What was really funny is that while the guy is wheeling it back to the truck, he goes over the curb and the box just falls off and rolls twice down our street. HA... SO THAT IS WHY THINGS GET DAMAGED.

Anyhow... I paniced cause the guy wasn't communicating with me very well, and I knew that if the claim went through, its the SENDER that gets the money back. I contacted PayPal (didn't have that buyers protection) and they blocked payment, and withdrew the funds from his account. Now the seller was upset as well... and after about 30 days, I finally got my money back from PayPal and I think that UPS actually ended up paying for it on his end, although not sure.

If at all possible, I ship things via FedEx or Airborne. I realize they can have just as many issues, but I have never gotten anything broke via FedEx and Airborne, and I can't count the number of times I have gotten monitors and other items that where busted in peices... when they come in via UPS.

You take a chance every time with Paypal. There are many bad stories about it. I use it, but not for anything large, only a max of about $50-80.

Doesn't UPS have shipping insurance? It'd be worth it if they break things a lot.

Back