urgent airport question...need help ASAP!

Dlatu1983

Prime Minister
I'm going out in about an hour to get networking supplies for my broadband network (with my dad)...we have 2 iMacs, and 2 PC's. So far, we're getting an Airport Base Station, so that we can connect the printer (Epson CX3200) via the USB port...my question is this...will we be able to use this printer on our Windows XP machines that are also on the network> I remember reading somewhere than on an airport network, you share printers via Rondezvous. Does anyone know if I can do this? If I cant print off of the PC's, it's pointless to buy it....

I will tell you that XP machines can join an airport wireless network if equipped with a wireless card. However, I have an old, "original" airport - no USB. So I can't swear to the printing capability

Yeah...I knwo for a fact that I can share the broadband access...I just need to know if I can share the printer. If I were to go with a Linksys router/switch, would I be able to print off of all the computers?

Get ready for your worst nightmare come true. It is extremely difficult for am average users to get to print with a mix of mac and pc, this does not means it can't be done. you can also connect your printer on one of the pc or mac and share it through the network. if you connet to your pc you can use gimp print and find the driver mac will recognize or use Dave 4.1 you can download a free full evaluation at www.thursby .com, I never try the opposite meaning connecting the printer to a mac and share it to your Pc. In other word you don't need to use he usb port on the airport base. However I will recommend you Airport base rather than Linksys.

good Luck

giro

Well, I got the Linksys instead....getting it set up was kind of a pain, but now it's working fine...I found a page in MacWorld or somethign that shows you how to print to a Windows XP printer via Samba...so I may just do that

Back