URGENT! CD-R Burn from terminal?

seq

Registered
I have a serious problem with the Os X.

I was burning a backup CD-R when the OS X crashed. The mouse is dead, the combo drive is not found and some ports are not working.

Obviously there are some damage to the filestructure (Overlapped Extent Allocation - Invalid node structure... ehhmm.. ok??) , but my own files (music, documents, pictures) are undamaged.

Therefore I need to burn a CD-R from the terminal with these files , and my question is: Does anyone know how to do this?

I don't know especially much about Unix, so all help is extremely welcome. I do NOT want to format the harddrive until I have a backup of these files!

I really need the help, and it's quite urgent.... Thanks everyone!

have you tried starting up in single user mode and running fsck? (apple- s, then fsck -y at the prompt untll no errors are returned, exit to continue)

if you have done this and it does not take care of your problem then you may need a good diagnostic and repair program like diskwarror from alsoft.com or techtoolpro from micromat.com

I do not know much about unix either but i know how to repair a disk. do not freak out, i've been your situation beofre and i have yet to have to reformat a hd.;)

Yes, I have started in single user mode, and all I get is a long list of the "Overlapped extent allocation - Invalide Node structure".

But it has to be possible to make a CD-R from terminal, right?

(trying to stay calm over here... despite the panic...)

you will need a real terminal jockey for that and that's not me. i just saw you were in a panic and thought i would give you what i know.

yes, buying a repair program will cost you money but it will probably solve your problems faster. diskwarrior has a good reputation for saving drives. be sure to get the disk with plus optimizer while you are at it. you will need a defragmenting tool sooner or later. (you can still download DW and use it right away if you have a second drive to run it from.

good luck !

sorry i'm no more help than this.:(

hdiutil is for manipulating disk images. You should be able to create a disk image, mount it, copy stuff to it, unmount it, and finally burn it.

Check out 'man hdiutil' for more. I've never really used it for much more than mounting disk images when I wasn't at the console to double-click an image. From the examples at the end of the manpage though:

Image from folder:

$ du -s myFolder # du(1) seems to find resource forks, even on HFS+
$ hdiutil create -sectors 1334 folderImage # add 100 sectors
$ hdid -nomount folderImage.dmg
/dev/disk1s2
$ newfs_hfs -v myFolderImage /dev/rdisk1s2
$ hdiutil eject disk1
$ hdid folderImage.dmg
/dev/disk1s2 Apple_HFS /Volumes/myFolderImage
$ ditto -rsrcFork myFolder /Volumes/myFolderImage

Burning:
$ hdiutil burn myImage.dmg
Burns the image to available optical media and verifies
the burn.

Ok, I think that will work! The problem is now that I can't make a disk image with those commands you suggested.

When I type
'du -s /users/marcus/--seq--'
and /users/marcus/--seq-- is the folder that I would like to create a disk image from.
it comes back with
'1046888 /users/marcus/--seq--'
Then I type
'hdiutil create -sectors 1334 folderImage'
and it says
'create failed - no such file or directory'

Is the command line really correct? Or have I missed something?

Thank you so much for the help. I really think this will work eventually...

well, for one thing, you should use1046988 sectors, not 1334 - that was what to use if the folder you wanted occupied 1234 sectors. OK, so you probably realized that, but just making sure...

Hmm. Works for me

hdiutil create -sectors 1046988 folderImage

makes a file called folderImage.dmg, that's about 511 MB in size. Takes a while, but it works. Do you maybe not have room for an image of that size on your disk?

Ok... I figured that I should use 1046988, but since it didn't work, I thought that 1334 might do the trick. (some special command or something... I'm not so good at this...lol)

hdiutil create -sectors 1046988 folderImage

...does not work. The folder is about 511,1 MB, and I have AT LEAST 10 Gig left on my harddrive.

Could this have anything to do with the priveliges for the file/folder? I think I read somewhere (after some command or booting) that there was only read-priviliges for some files on the harddrive.
If so, how do I change the priviliges?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply and suggestions!

Ok.. this is what happened with my ibook...

I was about to burn a backup CD-R i osX and all of a sudden, it seemed like nothing happened (it was "thinking" for very long). I decided to shut down by pressing the usual shutdown-button for a while (5 secs), and the computer turned off.

When I started again, the osX seemed to start properly, but when running, I saw that the mouse was dead, the speakers didn't work, some of the ports was disabeled and the Combo-Drive was not found...

Happy, happy, joy, joy...

So I tried to reboot again, but that didn't work.
Then I did a hardware test, but no malfunction was found.
Then I tried to install the OS X again, but it didn't find the harddrive from the install CD. However, I could still access everything by just starting up with the OS X that already was installed...I was just that I had to use the key-commands to open everything...

Then I tried to test with the OS 9.2 Cd, but again, it couldn't find the harddrive, and it said that the harddrive was corrupted.

Some more hardware tests with no errors before I tried the newt step.

I started up with the *apple s* command and run the 'fsck -y' and got a long message wiht 'Extent Allocation File [filenumber]' that ended with the phraze 'Invalid Node Structure'
I did also do the 'zap the pram' and some other stuff but nothing have seemed to work yet...

And I think that's about it. Does this make any sense at all?

Thanks to everyone that has tried to help me with the problem on my mac. :)
However, I grew so tired of not being able to use the computer, so I decided to format the harddrive this saturday, and re-install everything, and as far as I can tell, everything is working properly now.

Once again, thanks for all the time you have taken with this issue... I really appreciate all your assistance (not to mention all the things I learned during this episode!)

Take care, y'all

Marcus

www.fortunewell.com

Back