URGENT - Desktop Files missing

texanpenguin

Registered Penguin
I'm using OS 9 (normally an OS X user).

Just updated an iMac from OS 8.6 to 9.2, and now the files on the desktop are all missing. If you drag something to the desktop (even an alias), it sits there for a moment then disappears. If you view the desktop from an Open File window (or by browsing in IE), all the files are there (including the files you drag).

I've tried to rebuild the desktop, next resort will be the PRAM and NVRAM, but I don't see that helping.

Any clues, guys? This is for a customer and I've never seen this behaviour before. The customer is due in two hours, max.

HELP!

Thanks!

Did you do a clean install?

Go to the System Folder> Preferences and trash Finder Preferences, Mac OS Preferences, and System Preferences. Check for Object Support Lib and trash that. Restart the computer, then empty the trash.

Are there any third party programs installed like a font utility? Norton Utility? Disable them.

If it continues, go to the Extension manager and select Mac OS Only and restart. If the problem goes away, then you will know it is a third party extension.

I did what OS 9 calls a "clean install" - not erasing the HDD and installing.

Updated from 8.6 to 9.1 to 9.2.1.

I trashed the prefs; no luck. No third party extensions. Did a Shift+boot.

Any more ideas?

The Desktop in Mac OS 8/9 is an invisible folder on the top level of your hard drive. If that folder is damaged, then you are going to need to let the system replace it.

What I would do (and I'm not suggesting that you do this) is:
(1) Use ResEdit to make the Desktop visible in the finder,
(2) get everything off of the desktop that I could,
(3) rename the desktop, and
(4) restart.​
What I would suggest is backing up everything you have on that drive and reformatting. The Desktop folder doesn't go bad for no reason and this could be a sign of worse things to come.

Well the time was up, and I gave the computer back to the customer with no guarantees, but what you say is very true. I couldn't think of what I'd need to make the folder visible in OS 9 (I had forgotten all about ResEdit), so I just advised the user that if they needed anything off the desktop, they ought to use Sherlock to search for it, then drag it from there into their documents folder, and get into the habit of saving to there instead of the Desktop.

I wish I'd received that post while I still had it in my possession. They're looking at getting a RAM upgrade (it has 32MB atm), followed by Panther, so the computer should be back in in no time.

Thanks for the help anyway.

texanpenguin,

Sorry I about not responding to you sooner. Everytime I tried to get on the site, it was donation time. :(

My next suggestion would be to do a desktop rebuild. At start up hold down the option and the Apple keys. Continue to hold down those keys until you get a dialog box asking if you wish to do a desktop rebuild. That comes up after the extensions load at the bottom of the screen. When that dialog box comes up, release the keys and click on the okay button. Once done, those files should show.

Back