Urgent Help Needed

Achates

Registered
Hi everyone,

I need help quick. I came back from being out and there was a message that said I had zero space left on my internal PowerBook hard drive... I'm genuinely puzzled by this because I had at least 12 gigs left on it (it's an 80 gig drive).

What's more confusing is that after a shutdown and restart, minor cleanup, and verifying permissions I have 4.85 gigs free, which is not nearly enough to run at full speed. At least 8 gigs are unaccounted for.

So then I booted into Drive Genius and ran some scanning and verification and nothing seemed to be amiss with the hardware.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what's wrong and what I can do? I've run some basic maintenance with Onyx and nothing has changed.

Does something go horribly wrong when you only have a certain percentage of free space on a drive?

I'd appreciate your help...this thing feels like it's teetering on the edge of meltdown because it's running so slow.

Thanks,
Achates

Achates said:
this thing feels like it's teetering on the edge of meltdown because it's running so slow.

Thanks,
Achates
It is.

You're probably not taking into account the need for virtual memory. It could take 5 - 8Gb

If I were you I'd get an external Firewire drive pronto and move the some stuff you don't often need off that internal drive.

Back