URGENT Mail app quiting unexpectedly

JockF

Registered
15" Powerbook G4 800mhz - 1GB RAM - Combo drive - OSX 10.2.6

Out of no where my Mail.app has started quiting unexpectedly while trying to check mail - so I can't check my mail at the moment.

I thought something might be wrong with my system so I used Mac Janitor and System Optimizer to run all the Cron Maintenance scripts and then I used Apple's Disk Utility to verify and repair permissions - I restarted and still had the same problem with Mail. So then I ran Disk Warrior to see if I had any major disk problems - DW found nothing major - and I am still having the same problem with mail. Otherwise my system and other apps run fine - it's just mail that I am having a problem with.

My only other guess is that the application has become damaged - under OS9 I would simply reinstall the application - but under OSX this doesn't seem to be possible with Mail - or is it?

I really want to avoid installing Entourage, or even worse having to reinstall OSX.
Any suggestions on what to do - or is it possible to just reinstall Mail????

If you are leery of trashing the prefs, move them to another file name instead. That way, if it doesn't fix the problem, you can still reinstate them.

Ok -I tried removing the prefs and that didn't work - I also tried creating a new user which in affect does the same thing as trashing the prefs - but no joy - Mail keeps quiting - I hate to admit it but I think it's time to switch to Entourage as reinstalling OSX is just too painful - I wish Apple would get their shit together with Mail because I really like how it syncs with the address book and other apps - Apple also needs to make a standalone installer for Mail as reinstalling the system is not a realistic option when one app gets corrupted. Any other advice before I jump to the dark side is welcome.

Use Pacifist to install Mail from your original OS X CD. I agree, they should not force the core OS X components in an installation if you want something else on the CD. But that's what Pacifist is for.

Arden Thanks! I will give it a try - but I have another question for you - Since my Install CD is for 10.2 and my current mail app has been updated to version 1.2.5 via the 10.2.6 update - how does one go about getting the updated version of the mail app?

Back