Urgent: Mail2 -> Mail. Mbox?

dalo

Registered
Urgent help needed!

I must for reasons too long to mention swtich from Tiger to my computer delivered Panther. I can live with Panther unitl' Leopard comes out, but it pretty much depends on Mail (I've thought through everything else, I think).

What is the safest way to make sure that I can import my mail (Im using Mail2 now), in Panther's Mail when I'm done switching? Are the .mbox files compatible?

Note that I am NOT upgrading, but actually downgrading, to an older Mail application. I saw that there was an howto on the reverse method.

I need this information ASAP, if anyone can tell me what my odds are, go ahead.

Thanks!

Regards, Daniel.

There's no way that I know of, sadly, to directly go back from Mail 2's way of saving mails to Mail 1's. Maybe there is using a mail service like Gmail? Or .Mac? None of this would be _fast_, though. If you'd be using an IMAP4 account, all your mail would reside on the server, anyway.

But from what you're asking I'm guessing you're not.

Apple changed mbox from Mail 1 to Mail 2 in that Mail 2 uses separate files in Mail 2 so that Spotlight can index each mail message instead of just each mailbox. I'm not sure Panther's Mail can do _anything_ about this if handed newer mailboxes. :/ I'm sure this ain't the answer you want. In fact I'm pretty sure it's the one answer you _don't_ want to hear.

You'd have to somehow transform the thousands of single messages into one big .mbox file. And I'm not sure it can be done in a simple way...

Back