USB 2.0 Card...

rinse

www.visualrinse.com
Ok, so, I guesss I just assumed too much...

I bought a really cheap USB 2.0 card online with the hopes that it would just work plug and play like in my G4 tower.

The Apple System profiler doesn't seem to see it though.

If a card is complliant with the PCI and USB spec, shouldn't it just work? I'm not even talking about the USB 2.0 speeds, I'm just talking about using this as a simple USB 1.1 card.

What would it take to write a driver? Are there open source ones oout there? The company i got the card from seems a bit PC centric (i got it through pricewatch), so the hope of them writing a driver is slim.

Any ideas out there?

II am seeing this in My apple system profiler app now:

PCI Slot - 2:

Not available (2)
Card type: Not available
Card name: pci925,1234
Card model: Not available
Card ROM #: Not available
Card revision: 80
Card vendor ID: 1106
Ethernet address: <not applicable>

Hey!

I just installed the Keyspan USB 2.0 card in my PowerMac G4 Sawtooth because my dumb little 4 port USB hub didn't work anymore for no reason. I got the PCI card for like $40 from MacMall. I installed it plug-n-play, no problems. What's your card, specifically?

[addition]
I forgot to mention that there are OS 9 drivers installed, but drivers were not needed for my card.

My card was made by Via... I got it throught hoct.com and on the page it listed Mac OSX as a compatible OS, so I didn't even bother checking the manufacturer website.

I just don't understand why it wouldn't work... my Apple System profiler does list the device as being there. Weird.

I found the page you were at, and it looked a lot like my USB card, including the 5th internal USB port. You said it was made by Via, but I checked their website and was unable to find the same product there. They had two USB PCI cards, but one looked like it had 4 ports (no internal 5th one), and the other looked like it was only 3 ports total. You're sure Via made it?

I suppose I would crab to hoct.com about their advertisement. Maybe they can offer some OS X advice.

For $9.00, I would have tried it out as well. I just went to MacMall first.

It has a Via Logo on the controller chip that is on the board. Do manufacturers of controller cards sell their chips to other resellers? I thought that was a video card thing.

I don't really care if i get USB 2.0 sppeds, but a few additional USB 1.1. ports would be nice.

rinse - I hear you, there seems to be nobody out there who can answer questions about OS X and USB with 100% confidence.

I just installed a Belkin 5U005 USB card after their tech support told me it would run no problem and that I did not need a driver (I am so sick of sites that list "OS 8.2 or better" leaving you to wonder if that includes OS X or not).

Well, I started up my G4 450 with the card and it completely hosed - it would not start and just sat there with a grey screen (seemed like old OS 9 days - boy do I not miss those times). I pulled the card and then it started fine. A call to Belkin said to try a different PCI slot - he said each slot uses different resources so it may work. Any ides if this is BS or not? I really don't want to see my more Mac freeze up again even though I am 99.99999% sure it won't hurt my system. It just brings back too many painful memories of OS 9 and/or SCSI drive issues I had with a Quadra 660 AV. Are the odds slim that my card is bad?

Back