USB 2.0 PCI Card - G4 won't wake from sleep

cory1848

Registered
I just got a USB 2.0 PCI card that has 5 ports and I installed it and everything seems to work fine except when I put the computer to sleep, it won't wake up. The only way to get it back up is to do a reboot. I reset the Open firmware, suggestion from a similar post, ran fsck and nothing will fix this. System profiler reads the card and everything seem to be ok, but the sleep mode issue. I uninstall the card and sleep mode works fine. I would really like to be able to use this. I have a G4 867 Dual MDD running 1280 megs of ram, plenty for hard drive space.
The card is a ADS Tech USB Turbo 2.0 that I got at Circuit City. Says mac compatible, yada yada yada...Plug and Play etc....

In Single User mode I did notice these two lines of code:

USBF: 18.847 AppleUSBOHCI[0x2273000]::start OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep
USBF: 18.853 AppleUSBOHCI[0x225b800]::start OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep

I just noticed on this that if I disconnect all the plugged in devices I have to the card, sleep function works fine. But that is kind of pointless to having a multiple port card....

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for the help.

you have found one of the quirks of the g4s and sleep. almost any change from stock, and they don't sleep. the truth is, the only way to allow it to sleep is to never have this card in. so you have to choose either sleep, or usb2 ports.

you have found one of the quirks of the g4s and sleep. almost any change from stock, and they don't sleep. the truth is, the only way to allow it to sleep is to never have this card in. so you have to choose either sleep, or usb2 ports.

Well, it sleeps fine just doesnt wake up with any devices attached.

Works fine with nothing plugged into them. So is this an occurance with all usb2 cards? Or could it be just a brand issue?

Thanks Bob, Basically that tells me tough luck I am screwed. It amazes me that Mac has these issues yet only supplies 2 USB powered ports on a computer, one of which the keyboard needs to be plugged into....Guess I will wear out my computer but never letting it sleep...

Back