USB cable works with Motorla V66 phone

rharder

Do not read this sign.
I just got a "Motorola USB Data Cable Replacement for Motorola V60C/V66 Phones CMOTM01-03" from eBay for $5, and it works great with Mac OS X, both sync-ing with iSync 1.1 and as a modem (no additional software needed). Here's the review I wrote on Epinions.com (http://www.epinions.com/content_102524751492):

Although Macs are not officially supported, I was able to use this cable to connect my Motorola V66 phone (I have T-Mobile) to my iMac with Mac OS X 10.2.6.

With iSync 1.1 I could sync my addresses and calendar items to/from my phone, palm, and iPod. Way cool. iSync options:
___ [checkbox] Contacts
______ Synchronize [pop up menu list with address book groups]
______ [checkbox] Only synchronize contacts with phone numbers
___ [checkbox] Calendars
______ [radio] All
______ [radio] Selected: [list box with iCal calendars listed]
______ Put events created on Phone into [popup menu list with iCal calendars]
______ Events Time Zone: [time zone] [Set... button]

I made up a new group in Address Book called "My Mobile Phone" so I could easily drag contacts to it to be synchronized.

If a contact has more than one phone number, say home, work, and mobile, then in your V66's phone book they will have three entries with appropriate icons next to them (!) so the home number will have the home icon, etc. Very nice.

Additionally, I got new /dev/tty.usbmodem0111 and /dev/cu.usbmodem0111 devices and upon opening System Preferences and clicking on Network, I was alerted that I had a new port, a "Motorola Phone (V.series 66)" so theoretically if I had a dialup account I could use it. Also very nice.

I too got a usb cable from ebay to use with a Motorola phone and iSync. I can confirm that iSync recognizes the Motorola 120t (I got mine in 2002) and the T720 I just switched to. iSync made it very easy to move all my contacts from the old phone to the new one. It did not move the voice prompts though.

Good point about the voice dials. When I "reset devices" my voice dials go away. Of course I don't reset often, but I do it more than I'd like to have to.

-Rob

Back