'USB communication problem' using webcam

NielZ

Registered
I have a Philips ToUCam Fun and macam 0.7b2
The app sees the cam and i see myself, but after a couple of seconds I get the error "USB communication problem". The 'video' stocks, and i have to retry a couple of times before i get a new signal.
What's wrong, and better, how can i fix this?

Try and check out with Apple System Profiler how much mAmps your USB cam consumes. Is it separately powered or USB powered?

If it is not separately powered, put it directly into a USB port on the side of your iMac.

Update your iMacs' OS to the latest version possible untill nothing can be updated.

Also be sure to use the latest firmware for your iMac.

Use the latest driver/program for the camera available. Macam 0.7b2 is most likely a betaversion which means it could have some flaws still.

Use either iPhoto, iMovie or Image Capture (not sure what kind of cam it is). They are located in the Applications folder.

even if it not not an issue with bus power, you should probably have the camera connected to a port that's not dedicated. remember that USB does not have any sort of bandwidth guatantee (unlike firewire), so if you are in a shared port, other devides might be causing congestion (like when a network slows down because there are a lot of users)...

I had all sort of problems with my Soundsticks and the iMic and my keyspan digital media remote. I also had problems with the iMate nto functioning after using PalmHotSync. I resolved all problems by buying an USB card with 4 controllers, to get a total of 6 USB controllers. each device is connected to a port that has a dedicated controller. the only thinks connected to my USB hub are my mouse, keyboard, graphics tablet and trackball. anything that requires any sort of bandwidth (especially audio and video) should be in a dedicated bus.

sorry for the long post, but I had *a lot* of problems until I ditched my old usb card.

The cam (a Philips ToUCam Fun is connected right to the Mac, not to the keyboard or the hub or something...

Back