USB DEVICES DON'T WORK!

AppleWatcher

Tigerrr
Hello everbody,

I have an USB Imation SuperDisk Drive and a HP Deskjet 843C connected to my iMac. If I start up with Mac OS 9, everything works perfectly normal. If I start up with Mac OS X Public Beta, nothing works. Even the Print Center doesn't recognizes my printer. Who knows what I have to do?

Thankx and Think Different.

AppleWatcher

Use the help.

Click the late breaking news from the dock, and then type int usb work, as the search. There is a doc on usb devices not working, and it
1. give some steps to try
2. states that not all usb device will work

This is a beta, and device drivers and support is alittle thin, but that is to be expected.

Thankx but the help index is only linking to the internet and my imac is not connected to the internet you know so that could be a little difficult

But i'll read the late breaking news, ok

but my problem hasn't to do something with the version of my USB-driver?

Thankx again and Think different.

AppleWatcher

Unfortunatley you can't do anything at this point. Apple has stated that there is no printer support because there are no OS X native printer drivers or drivers for third party devices like the Imation drive. The only removables that work now are CD-ROMs (not DVD-ROMs) and Zip drives.

Originally posted by AppleWatcher
Hello everbody,

I have an USB Imation SuperDisk Drive and a HP Deskjet 843C connected to my iMac. If I start up with Mac OS 9, everything works perfectly normal. If I start up with Mac OS X Public Beta, nothing works. Even the Print Center doesn't recognizes my printer. Who knows what I have to do?

Thankx and Think Different.

AppleWatcher

Does your mouse work? I have a beige G3 with a USB PCI card and USB works fine. One thing you have to keep in mind, is some devices need drivers, and if the drivers are not compatible with OSX they will not work. I'm sure Imation and HP will have updated drivers for OSX (they'll have to if they want their products to run in OSX), but until they do, you're going to have to boot in OS9 to use the printer and Superdisc.

I too was looking for an answer to the printer and I guess you have answered the problem for me.
mine Is a USB epson 800
Biut will it run it your in clasic os9?
jlvanw.

Originally posted by jlvanw
I too was looking for an answer to the printer and I guess you have answered the problem for me.
mine Is a USB epson 800
Biut will it run it your in clasic os9?
jlvanw.

I doubt it. I think you will have to reboot using OS9 (holding down the option key), and getting out of OSX altogether in order to print. I know that I can't print using my Stylus Photo 700 in the classic enviroment of OSX. Hopefully drivers for printers, scanners and other devices are currently be written. At this time though, OSX is not a fully functional OS. Then again, it is a beta:).

Thankx, but in the real version of Mac OS X they ARE available?
In the final version these drivers will be available, either from Apple or from the third parties.

In the great Apple tradition, I am afraid Apple will only provide drivers for their own peripherals. This is unfortunate : they should take a cue from MS and work with the third parties to provide the drivers on the Mac OS X install disk. But maybe we are in for a surprise...

Right now, Apple has stated that most USB and FireWire peripherals won't work from within OS X PB because there are no drivers for most USB and FireWire peripherals... Even though the USB and FireWire layers are there, these connection interface can only work if the specific driver for each connected machine can be found.

Basically, what happens is this :
  • Mac OS X driver layer : Hey, hello ! Who are you ?
  • The connected device : Well hello to you ! I am HP Deskjet 843C !
  • Mac OS X driver layer : Welcome ! Wait 'til I get your driver !
    (times goes by)
  • Mac OS X driver layer : Unfortunately, there are no drivers for you here : see you next time !
Thus your experience of a useless printer in OS X.
Who knows what I have to do?
Basically wait or (politely) ask the third parties to come up with a driver ASAP. This being said, I understand that drivers are not available partly because the resources to write those are not available from Apple yet, so even if the third parties wanted to provide us with drivers, they would not be able to.

In HP's case, at least, another reason for the lack of a driver is their corporate policy of not providing drivers for beta versions of operating systems. So I would not be overly optimistic in getting a driver for your your printer until at least next May (the projected delivery date of OS X).

Hope this clarify things a bit.

I know that I can't print using my Stylus Photo 700 in the classic enviroment of OSX.
In OS X, the classic environment has no direct communication with the hardware : it is virtualised. So the printing component of OS 9 cannot use the traditional drivers for your printer : it does not see it.

This is why you cannot print in Classic and you have to reboot in OS 9.

Back