Usb Drive Sharing

jeff_oakland

Registered
I've got a rev. D iMac with no firewire port, running 10.2. I want to use it to host files on a USB external hard drive. My main reason for sharing on a mac drive is that our company's filenames grow too long for the 255-character limitations of PC-hosted/formatted drives.

I already read Captain Dave's reply of 7.23.05, and I tried using SharePoints; there were two problems. The first which is of some concern is that even though I was able to see the drive from one of my PCs, it was inaccessible; whether shared in USER or SHARE mode, no password or lack thereof would allow me to see the drive's contents.

Second and more ridiculous problem: transferring data to this drive (Mac to Mac, since t hat's all I could get to work) resulted in crashing my network. My iBook wireless connection would gradually deteriorate, and then the router (a Linksys WRT54G) would crash and require a restart.

This has never happened with other large data reansfers over the network, and did not happen when trasferring to the iMac host's hard drive - only to the SharePoint Drive.

I've ALSO tried using MacDrive on a PC to host the HFS+ formatted drive, but that doesn't solve the filenaming limitation.

Back