USB Fax modem for B&W G3? I'm a bit desperate...

Pacifix

Registered
I'm a recent switcher and I just took on my first Mac consulting job. Everything went smoothly except one hideous problem. I'm now getting a bit freaked out by the apparent lack of options and the continuous tick of the clock towards 4:00 tomorrow, when I have to put up or shut up.

The problem is thus: I upgraded my client's B&W G3 from OS8.6 to OSX.2. This G3 did not come with an internal modem, rather she was using a very old USRobotics serial external. OSX would not recognize that modem, so the modem was trashed.

My mission, now that I've chosen to accept it, is to find an external USB fax modem that will work with FaxSTF X. My client only uses the modem for faxing, not web surfing (has DSL). She does, however, do a fair bit of faxing and thus can't live without it.

I had been looking at the Zoom 2986 (http://www.zoom.com/products/usb-modems.html), but when I called Zoom they said faxing was not yet supported - they're waiting on some sort of upgrade from Apple. Otherwise, I have so far been unable to find a USB fax modem that is supported in OSX.

My prayer is that someone on here is using a B&W G3 with an external USB modem to fax with. If the old serial modems wouldn't be recognized under OSX, what did people do? They must have had to keep faxing.

Any info would be greatly exchanged. Hell, I'll even give you my firstborn at this point.

Pacifix

USB external modems are not supported with FaxSTF X, you must upgrade to FaxSTF X PRO, which is the commercial product. I will withhold my opinion of FaxSFT, you may have a good experience, some people do. There may be serial modem support with one of the other Fax software packages, such as Cocoa eFax (from MacAdvocacy.com), but I don't think so. Best option is a external USB fax modem. Possibly one of the multifunction print/scan/fax units might be a better fix.?

Back