USB floppy drives under OS 10.x.. ??

Xistor

Registered
I just picked up a VST USB floppy and was going to use it with my iBook.. BUT:

It appears that the VST drive has no OS 10 drivers.. It comes with 9.x drivers, but they aren't even needed under 9 (the OS already recognizes the drive). Under a 10.1 prerelease (5g48) (not sure about 10.0.4--probably the same)... unless the disk is in the drive when the drive is plugged into the computer, the computer doesn't recognize that a disk is inserted.

Does anyone have the drop on any drivers for VST drives under 10.x or know of any portable USB or firewire floppy drives that are 10.x compatible???

danlfsmith

Registered
I have no answer, but have had the identical problem. I emailed VST about it some months ago, and they told me that Apple is supplying all the USB drivers in OS X, and that if there's any problem with a USB device, it's up to Apple to solve. VST said it should work! I'm disappointed to hear that it may not be corrected in 10.1

Xistor

Registered
GOOD NEWS!!

I just installed the 5G59 OS 10.1 pre-release.. and the problem is cleared up. The VST USB bus-powered floppy drive works perfectly, and MS DOS support for floppies is back as well! (I knew there was a reason I liked Apple! :)

ohlssonvox

Registered
The VST / Y-E Data USB Floppy drive works under the GM release of 10.1. Some of the earlier beta builds did not work though. It works perfectly as fart a s I can see.

The Tri Media Reader floppy works now too.

http://ohlssonvox.8k.com