Use battery or A/C? - Powerbook

MMak

Registered
I use my Powerbook at home about 90% of the time. Should I...

1.) Plug the A/C power cord to the computer with the battery fully charged and in the "plugged-in" state

2.) Recycle the battery (completely charge the battery then drain it...continuously)

I'd like to know the best way to preserve the battery life.

Originally posted by MMak
I use my Powerbook at home about 90% of the time. Should I...

1.) Plug the A/C power cord to the computer with the battery fully charged and in the "plugged-in" state

2.) Recycle the battery (completely charge the battery then drain it...continuously)

I'd like to know the best way to preserve the battery life.
Yeh, I'd like to know this too. I just leave it plugged in most of the time.

i cycle mine, not cause of batter preservation but cause it more convenient using my powerbook in the lounge next to the fire and where i can see the tv rather than in my bedroom where its coldish!! Im not sure whats best, for battery longevity but i have a feeling its best to let it completely discharge before recharging so no memory forms in the battery, tho im not sure about this.

I believe that when you leave it plugged in, it discharges a little bit, maybe 5%, then recharges, and this counts as a full recharge (like a full mile on your car). It's probably better to let it discharge and then recharge it overnight or something.

I believe that when you leave it plugged in, it discharges a little bit, maybe 5%, then recharges, and this counts as a full recharge This is not true.

It's always recommend to drain batteries and let them recharge. Even if you only ran on batterries once every two weeks, let it completely drain, then plug in and let them charge, the battery will last a LOT longer.

bobw, it's true. sometimes when i have mine plugged it the 100% drops to 99%, and so on. It dosent recharge tho.

It dosent recharge tho.

It should recharge when it goes under 95%. I keep my iBook connected to electricity and because I move it around a lot, the plug (glowing light) loses its firm grasp and the iBook thinks it's not connected anymore. As soon as I realize this, I adjust the plug so that the iBook maintain its current charge (usually above 95 when I catch it).

I've had two iBooks and both of them I've treated the same. Neither left my room a lot, so I kept them plugged to the wall. How long would a battery last if one relied on it most of the time? I'm sure I've owned my iBook for longer (with the same battery), and I still get hours of usage through it.

Thanks for all the advice. So here is what I gathered. Plugging in the A/C is fine as long as the battery is cycled (completely discharged then charged) once in a while. Or even cycling the battery is not necessary?

How do I know when the battery is completely discharged? Is it only by the "low battery" warning window? When this window appears I should immediately shut down the computer and charge the battery?

When this window appears I should immediately shut down the computer and charge the battery?

I pretty much ignore the window; I might save all my work at that point. After a few minutes, the computer will go to sleep by itself. At that point I recharge the battery. I believe that's what is meant by letting the battery drain completely.

I've noticed that the computer gets hotter (the fan kicks in more often) when the A/C power is plugged in. Maybe it's not the way to go afterall... Any thoughts?

its because its running faster (to put it simply)

when under battery only power, by default, the ibook runs on minimal power, thus less processing power, and less need for fans etc...

when on the ac, it doesnt need to conserve power, so you get full processing power and more fans and heat, its fine, dont worry about it :)

Bob, I have heard such testimony from sources like Gia. I'd like to see your proof to the contrary.

Arden
I don't need proof. If you do, then do some research.

Where's your proof for the following dumb a** statement?

I believe that when you leave it plugged in, it discharges a little bit, maybe 5%, then recharges, and this counts as a full recharge

I'm going from expierence over the years with two Powerbooks, three different cameras and numerous tools all with rechargeable batteries. Check with a battery manufacturer and they'll tell you it's best to deplete the charge and recharge or a regular basis for a longer lasting battery. If you look at the documentation that comes with most items that use rechargeable batteries, it will tell you to complete run down the battery and recharge regularly to have the battery last longer.

Originally posted by Dusky
I pretty much ignore the window; I might save all my work at that point. After a few minutes, the computer will go to sleep by itself. At that point I recharge the battery. I believe that's what is meant by letting the battery drain completely.

When the computer is in the sleep mode doesn't it draw power from the battery? Then isn't it better to shut down the computer and have the battery fully recharge?

What's the proper way to completely discharge the battery then fully recharge it?

When the computer is in the sleep mode doesn't it draw power from the battery?

It does. Very little of it.

Then isn't it better to shut down the computer and have the battery fully recharge?

Not a big difference, IMO. Not worth the having to wait for it to START UP the next time you want to use it.

What's the proper way to completely discharge the battery then fully recharge it?

After the computer sends itself to sleep, there's still a bit of power in it. Apple reccomends that when you get the window alerting you that little power remains, you must save your work and you must have the electricity plug handy.

Here's a related article...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

Here are two more articles you'll find handy...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88344

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=50666

In sleep mode, when not plugged in, it does draw power from the battery, but very little.

Just run the computer on battery till it shuts down, then recharge it.

Originally posted by bobw
It's always recommend to drain batteries and let them recharge. Even if you only ran on batterries once every two weeks, let it completely drain, then plug in and let them charge, the battery will last a LOT longer.

This WAS true with old batteries that had so cold "memory effect" (NiCd in particular). This is not true anymore with new batteries chemicals and new chargers. The chargers are now "smart" devices using complexe algorithms to optimally load your batteries, taking their charge history and temperature into account. You can leave your charger on all time, or just when your battery is down, no difference. In all cases your batteries will lose their capacity after a few years (after 3 years, their capacity will most probably have lost 30%-50%).

The worst of all is that if you buy new batteries as replacement and these batteries were made at the same time as your original batteries (often the case, as battery models for computers and cell phone tend to change each year), these will also loose their capacity very fast.

OK, I've tried to drain the battery completely yesterday and now it's not working properly.

I used the battery until the low warning window showed up, then continued using the computer until it went to sleep then after a few hours later it shut down. That's the way to drain the battery, right?

I charged the battery overnight and when I started the computer this morning, the clock stopped at the time it was shut down. No problem, I can set the clock...

I continued to run on the batteries until the battery status bar indicated 20 minutes left. The computer unexpectedly went to sleep, without warning. Couldn't get it out of sleep mode by pressing keys. So I plugged in the A/C and it came back up. But my computer used to give me that low battery warning at 9 minutes.

Anyone know what might be the problem?

You took it slightly too far. You're only supposed to run it until it goes to sleep from alone - then you charge it till the green light comes on. That's the re-calibration process of the battery as prescribed by Apple. I only know this coz I just happened to have to do that today as well - and the process as described above works fine :)
C

Back