Use battery or A/C? - Powerbook

Originally posted by LordCoven
You took it slightly too far. You're only supposed to run it until it goes to sleep from alone - then you charge it till the green light comes on. That's the re-calibration process of the battery as prescribed by Apple. I only know this coz I just happened to have to do that today as well - and the process as described above works fine :)
C

So I should just leave it recharging in sleep mode?

Originally posted by MMak
once it goes into sleep, and you cant wake it up, plug it in, and if you want to, keep using it, shut down, or sleep.

You took it slightly too far.

Yup, that's it. When it sent itself to sleep on its own, that's when it was time to recharge the battery. The reason why you got a battery warning when 20 mins still remained is that it needs to be calibrated.... it's way off on its estimate of how much time remains.

No, that's not necessary. Feed it some electricity to charge the battery. You may use the laptop as the battery is being charged, or you can have it either in sleep mode or shut down. The only diff is the time it'd take for the battery to fully charge. Obviously, it'd charge more quickly if it's shutdown.... slowest if it's being used... medium if it's asleep. Fact of the matter is, even when the laptop is in use, it's battery is still being charged, if it's properly connected to electricity.

The one thing not to do is to stop recharging before the battery is full. That stops the battery from being recalibrated successfully. Plus, I've also found (although it could just be my imagination) that the recalibration works better if you stop charging the moment its full (light goes from amber to green). I did the whole thing twice for good measure, and everything seems hunky dory now :)
Cheers,
C

How can I re-enable the low battery warning window at 9 minutes? My Powerbook still goes to sleep on its own at 20 minutes without warning.

Following back on topic...

The Powerbook will be my desktop replacement so the computer will be close to a power outlet all the time.

Should I...

a.)...fully charge the battery and plug the power adapter in all the time

b.)...plug in the power adapter only when the battery is running low (a certain percentage)

Is it recommended to fully charge/discharge (to calibrate the battery) on a regular basis?

Back