Use built in isight to chat without iChat?

kingfoot

Registered
Is there such a program, because I dont have a .mac account, but I want to video chat. Also, is there a Mac osx version of msn messenger that is more like windows live messenger or plans on making one? because Im used to the features of windows live messenger, and miss them greatly when Im on my macbook.

You don't need a .mac.com account to use iChat.

You can go to AIM.com and register to get an AIM screen name and use that for iChat.

You can also register for a mac.com trial account, think it last for 60 days. Don't keep it, but you can keep the mac.com name from it and be able to use it for iChat.

iChat is essentially AIM, just a much better client, the network is fine. I don't think the Mac version of messenger supports video though, its a pretty weak client. For text only chat I use Adium, which runs almost every network, but can't do video yet.

I think skype now supports video on Mac as well. That should work with your iSight.

I didn't say to use AIM. Just register to get a screen name and use that screen name with iChat.

You could use aMSN

Basically someone has made a version of messenger for the mac which has more features. It supports video chat too.

Check out http://www.sightspeed.com/. It's a program that works great on Mac's. It also works on PC's. A friend of mine wasn't able to chat with a friend in a hotel in Hawaii with iChat, but we used SightSpeed and it worked like a charm.

Back