Use Intel Leopard Install Disc on PPC iMac?

generdude

Registered
My G5 iMac PPC hard drive needs to be replaced. It came with Tiger. I have the Leopard Install Disc that came with my other new Intel iMac. Can I install that Leopard onto the new internal hard drive on my PPC iMac?

Unfortunately you can not, the system has an entire different architecture to work with intel machines. You can buy the universal generic copy of Mac OS X 10.5 from Apple for around $129 and possibly cheeper from eBay or Amazon, but make sure its the universal copy and that it didn't come with a computer, because 10.5 never came with any PPC computers.

I looked at the pdf on the dvd and it says requirements include intel and ppc g4, 10.4 or higher, so I guess I'm good to go.

The Mac OS X install disks that come with a specific model of a Mac are made specifically for that model. So the ones that come with a MacBook Pro Early 2008 will install only not on the same architecture Macs but also only on MacBook Pro Early 2008 models.
So your install disk that came with the Intel iMac will install on that model of Intel iMac.

The retail version is a different story. That will install either on PPC or Intel any version of Mac that meets the system requirements.

I looked at the pdf on the dvd and it says requirements include intel and ppc g4, 10.4 or higher, so I guess I'm good to go.

You are always free to try.

apple_2.jpg

:)

--J.D.

Dead-Mac.jpg

This one I wanted to use from the Macworld "Total Tiger" issue . . . but I forgot to update my HP drivers after going to 10.5! :D

--J.D.

Getting back to the Tiger to Leopard question, the Intel iMac came with Tiger installed and a Leopard DVD upgrade. So I installed Tiger first then used the DVD to install the Leopard upgrade. I now have 10.5.5 on my G5 iMac and everything seems fine.

The upgrade DVD is not the original full OS install DVD, so it is like a retail disc, has dual-architecture, is not computer-specific.

If you had a grey restore DVD that is labeled with the computer series it was meant to restore, that cannot be used for another computer series.

The upgrade DVD is not the original full OS install DVD, so it is like a retail disc, has dual-architecture, is not computer-specific.

If you had a grey restore DVD that is labeled with the computer series it was meant to restore, that cannot be used for another computer series.
congratulations…
you just supplied a reply to a thread that's been idle for 6 years.

Back