Use my TV as a monitor

Matsaki

Registered
This shoul be in a mixed tread including OS X :)

On my PB G3/333 Bronze I tried to run a high res DivX movie. But I belive the graphic card cant handle those as the film gets edgy and studdering, Any ideas what format to use and still have good quality output?

Is Quicktime a good option for watching movies on TV?

Next problem is that when I connect the TV with th S-Video Out to the TV and start up I come as far as that the bakground image comes up on the TV, but thats all I cant see any menu's, my pointer etc etc and not Quicktime either.

Whats going on? Is my graphic card so slow :( (My TV to big (32' wide screen) But it works from a PC :mad:

Woul love to have a solution :)
/Matsaki

Hi,
I can't answer all of your questions because I have only recently hooked up my powerbook g3/500 (firewire) to my tv using svideo. But I'll take a shot at the last part of your question. (not seeing your icons on the tv)
I believe what you are seeing is that your MAC sees your tv as a second display. (this is actually quite normal for the MAC whenever a second "display" is plugged in.) If you look at your powerbook screen you should see your icons and if you move your mouse across the powerbook screeen you should be able to move your mouse off the powerbook screen and then see it appear on the tv screen.
Unless I am completely off base you should be able to "correct" this by going to System preferences and choosing Display. In here you can mirror the laptop and tv displays and then you should see your icons on the tv.
You could also drag your tool bar from the laptop display to the tv display and work that way as well.
-jag

Matsaki said:
This shoul be in a mixed tread including OS X :)

On my PB G3/333 Bronze I tried to run a high res DivX movie. But I belive the graphic card cant handle those as the film gets edgy and studdering, Any ideas what format to use and still have good quality output?

Is Quicktime a good option for watching movies on TV?

Next problem is that when I connect the TV with th S-Video Out to the TV and start up I come as far as that the bakground image comes up on the TV, but thats all I cant see any menu's, my pointer etc etc and not Quicktime either.

Whats going on? Is my graphic card so slow :( (My TV to big (32' wide screen) But it works from a PC :mad:

Woul love to have a solution :)
/Matsaki

The problem you have with DivX movies has nothing to do with your graphic card. It's just a cpu-problem. DivX is a very rough and performance_eating codec which makes the video stud on your machine. Quicktime won't help you out. Maybe you should use MPlayer (freeware) and try if it helps a bit. Also download the latest DivX 5.1 codec which is supposed to be much faster. Or you just convert the divx movie into a mov-file or avi-file (non-divx-coded).
the thing about your background on the tv is, as jaguar said, just a splitted screen. Anyway, I am quite surprised your G3 powerbook allows this. Take a look at your F7 key. Does it show two mixed quads? If so, you can use this button to switch between splitt-screen mode and mirrored-screen. You might want to use mirrored screens since this is wasting less performance.

Good luck

I have an Olivetti Envision that is connected to a Tandy television. The result is pain at the eyes.

Well it looks like the problem was a CPU problem and nothing to do about it :(

It did not help with MPlayer, Convert Movie to other formats.

The split screen was right though and was solved!

Thanks alot anyway guys :)

Here an idea:
Buy yourself the cheapest windoze box you can get with at least 1Ghz, 128mb ram and a tv-out graphic card. You can remotely access the winxp comp with a freeware tool called RDC. One benefit: you have something like VirtualPC but much faster and you can playback your movies and DVDs as well and still have full performance on your G3 pbook...
I think you should be able to buy one for less than $150. Check out at ebay

Back