Use snow leopard server as desktop OS?

pixmaniowa

Registered
I am on a budget (aint we all) and need to purchase a new computer and server OS. I also need a new computer for my office. My question is, "is it possible to run apps like photoshop and iwork and Microsoft Office, etc, on the Leopard Server OS and have it work as a server at the same time?" This would kill two birds with one stone.
Thanks for your learned replies.
Robert

Yes, you can do that :)

The only limitations I remember seeing in Mac OS X Server as being used as a desktop was that very few applications didn't like being installed there. If I remember correctly, those were (at least in the times of 10.4) iDVD or Garageband. Those limitations may have changed since (but even if not, there would always be a way to deal with those apps if needed. They aren't the only apps to burn discs for instance).
Photoshop no doubt works - I had it installed on my Server at some point...

I think Mac Mini with Server or Mac Pro with Server will do more than perfect for you.

You might also consider trying OpenOffice or NeoOffice instead of M$ Office. Most anything M$ office does they will also do, and work for free.
MacGIMP might be worth a look and try too - while many shortcuts etc are different than in PS, you surely can't beat the price of that either.

Thank you Very Much!!!
This is for my office with about 30 users so I figured I would need a bigger, Mac Pro. If I can run my daily software on it while the server runs in the background that saves me about 3 grand.
Thanks for the quick answer.

Back