user account deletion and permissions

mactruck

Registered
i'm new to mac os x although through linux i have some unix understanding. i'm like the girl in jurassic park? dainty young idiot saying, "I know this."

i didn't expect that reinstalling os x would leave the os in large part, in tact. this to me says the disc has parameters that are interpreted by an existing install. i would like to understand this more, but i have a more pertinent question.

i'm trying to delete the account (admin) made during installation. i have enabled root and although i'm constantly told not to just use root, i prefer to; the issue is I don't have permissions to delete it even after issuing:

chown -Rf root:root /Users/user (this syntax had me confused as well, i don't understand why i have to iterate my user and group). this command returned an error.

at terminal i issued sudo -s and was returned to sh.
i issued chown root /Users/user (with no arguments). It persisted to another line in the prompt, which in linux can just as easily mean, command issued. this didn't resolve the problem with the account though. it remains.

other articles have suggested delete the users files; etc. that doesn't make sense to me.

it isn't a login issue unless i'm dialed into a netdisk somehow though, because i shutdown and logged in as root vs. switching users or logging out the user and entering root.

so that's one problem.

my second question is, i ran repair before reinstalling. the reason i reinstalled in fact, it said a number of files had permissions set to 80, and they should have been 0. after the install, as habit, i ran permissions repair (or chkdsk in windows) and it said the opposit, permissions set to 0 should be 80.

can someone help me with these two issues? the first inquiry is not as important, I can figure out how to scrub the disk if I chose to modify beyond this but for now I'd be happy to better understand apple unix.

i should really expand on the permissions thing:

i ran install, it wouldn't repair. i inserted the disc and rebooted from it, it still would not repair. the fresh install repaired the issues after 10 minutes, but again it had reverted to the state called an error before install which was (80>0, then back 0>80).

also there are some other peculiarities with authentication for making admin changes; i'm wondering why on utilities like airport I cannot close the switch so no further changes can be made, likewise as root only I cannot close the switch to prevent changes to users. Is this some pedantic programming silently telling me you're root you can't close your admin status, but then it doesn't explain the same of the airport utility as a non-root admin.

lastly, I'm told that to uninstall programs in mac os x just put them in the trash. this isn't closing out the backend though because firefox plugin (glimmerblock) continued to try and load, as did saft. I tried trash me and appcleaner applications for uninstallation but the same issue occurs. as a new mac user, I don't know where the crucial installation files are being written, in order to delete them after removing the front end. thanks in advance.

Back