User Accounts can't log on

jcaru

Registered
We are running 10.5 server and 10.4 client machines. 4 servers with accounts 2 work and 2 do not. Everything seems to be set up the same on all. The error we get is "The home folder for the user account is located on an AFP or SMB server. Contact your system administrator for help."
Logging onto server by Go - Connect to server works fine. But I can't log on to a client machine to get on the network. Thanks for all replies

I'm seeing the same problem on two 10.4 client machines from a 10.4 xserve - clients seem to be configured exactly the same as other machines that work. We've had the problem before and fixed by tinkering with repairing file permissions in Disk Utility, but this hasn't done anything this time.

The problem is that you got wrong preferences in "directory access" on the servers hosting homefolders. I guess you have configured them as "connected to a directory system" which requires that the "Directory Access" must point correctly to the "masterserver" (exactly like your client machines). Just put it in there and it will works like a glance.

Back