User Can Not Login At Server Location

ReneBa

Registered
Mac OS X server 10.3.9

Hi, again some Q.

Why when a user try to login at the server, it receive the following message:

--
"You are unable to log in to the user account "my user" at this time"

Logging in to the account failed because an error occurred. The home folder for the user account is located on an AFP or SMB server."
---

Thanks

Rene B.

So, these are users you created in the LDAP on your OD Master, using WGM. Look in the WGM and be sure the WGM Home Directory is located at /Users/User_Name_Here.

For example, for the user Apple:
/Users/Apple/

This is if you want to use local home directories and not network, which should eliminate this error your having.

I am having the same issue. I recently did a reinstall of MACOS 10.5.6 on an Intel IMac, and am having trouble logging into network accounts.

The configured network accounts work on other machines on my network, but not on this IMac.

I get the error:

you are unable to log in to the user account [] at this time.
logging in to the account has failed because an error has occurred.

any ideas on how to fix this?

Do to the Server admin tool. select the Server. Select "Settings". Select "Access". Select "Login window" . Make sure your users has access to it.

It is currently set, so that all users have the same access, we are not specifying different permissions in this setting area. It seems as the the machine is having trouble connecting to the server via the directory admin tool, however it can connect over AFP and other protocols. It says that the directory server is not available, however it is available to all the other machines.

I too am having this issue on a 10.4.11 server with tiger clients,and have tried everything I can think of to get this sorted.

Was wondering about this, have applied ACL's for all groups (RW) priv seemed.
Is there anyway I can bypass network homes (i.e. get a user to authenticate/login without a home folder) so I can get people to log in in the meantime?

Not only check the permission of the directory, also check the permission of the share point. I don't remember about older systems, in 10.5 you set the permission of the shares in the "Server Admin" tool.

Permissions not an issue, after numerous service as well as machine restarts.
(Once the Mac's Boot partion, was shown as empty, figure that one out)
The servers started working again (sign in with AFP connected login sharepoint working fine), after a mac whose pram battery had gone flat, was disconnected from the network. Strangely, this Mac always logged in, when ALL others were having the AFP share mount issues, also they're 2 other Macs with flat Pram batteries (date defaults to 1970) that are at present working fine. Just waiting on new Pram batteries to sort.

It sounds like you resolved this, but, to answer your question of "is there a way to bypass the network home" and allow login, you can do this by enabling Portable Home Directories. This architecture allows you to keep a copy of your home on the network (AFP share, in your case) and on the local machine. The gist is, if your client cannot authenticate against your DS or AFP server, it can still operate by using the local home and synchronize the changes back up to the server when it becomes available again.

Just thought I'd add that. :)

Michael

I am having this problem as well 10.5.8 server and clients, tho. Some users (created a while ago) can login fine, newly created users can't, with stated error as above.

In your cases, the first thing I would do is upgrade your server to 10.5 ...

Back