Using an express and an extreme

Judelaw

Registered
I'm trying to get an internet setup that works for me but so far have failed using a couple different products and setups.

I am trying to get internet to an upstairs media room wirelessly, I can not move the main router from the ISP or run any cables.

I'll just ask my question first incase it doesn't require any background. Can I hook a Airport EXPRESS up to my ISP router downstairs to create a new network, and in the media room use my existing Airport EXTREME to hardwire 3 devices and then connect to the internet like Airport Extreme (wifi) -> Airport Express (wired) -> ISP Router. Will that work?

Can the Express be the base station and the extreme be the ... repeater? Or is it call bridge? Or whatever. Will that setup allow 1) the upstairs media room EQ to communicate with itself through the wired connection of the Extreme? I want to stream movies from a computer up there to a PS3 without going over the wifi (lag, stuttering, buffering), but I also want the computer and PS3 to have internet access of course.

Any thoughts? Is this simple? Will it work?

First you have to be honest to yourself about your wireless setup! What I mean about this is first you need to find out if ALL you network devices can do wireless N, G, N+G, Just G or B. Plus find out what wireless security each device can do.

Now is your ISP device a modem or modem/router combination? This important and also let use know, if it is a wireless router/modem combination. Your answer will tell us on HOW to setup the Extreme that YOU already have.

You answer will tell us on HOW to setup either the Extreme (by your language you already have it) on "Bridged mode[/url] so it doesn't try to do NAT because the closet router to the ISP is doing NAT.

Last edited:
Well, only the Apple products can do N up here. If everything could do N I wouldn't have the problem lol, my Macbook Pro and iMac get 16mbps on the N network, the other laptop/ps3/etc, if they even connect, get less than 1mbps which isn't enough to do anything. The PS3 can barely stay connected to the internet.so I am hoping to hook all the G devices into the Extreme with ethernet cable, then connect to an Express I'd buy and install downstairs on the router. Making the Express the base station, and the Extreme the one connecting all the devices to the Express and the internet.

Also, for one of your questions, the box from the ISP is a modem and a wireless router, but it only does G and it is very unstable. On the ISPs wireless you get disconnected every few minutes for up to 30 seconds. Never ever happens with the Airport. =)

Then just check with your ISP that you can replace their included wireless/router. Maybe you pay them each month to use that router/modem combo.

Here are the steps to use and Extreme with an Airport Express extending you wireless network.

1. The important thing is to check your ISP and make sure you can do what you want. Once you get the O.K. From your ISP go to steps two.

2. Turn OFF you ISP modem! This is important so the ISP server looks for a new MAC address (not Mac, to see your MAC Address go to System Preferences->Network, Advanced button, Hardware mini pane) so you can change out the old device that is directly connected to the ISP modem. Now with the Extreme connected turn it on.

3. With you Mac connect to the Extreme with an Ethernet connection. Then on the Mac open /Applications/Utilities/Airport Utility and use that to set it up to get and IP from your ISP modem and share that IP (with private IP address). With install wizard finishes in Airport Utility, click on the 'Manual Setup'.

4. Follow the steps in the Apple Document AirPort Express: How to join an existing wireless network in client mode.

Back