Using an iMac for a web kiosk

lionsweb

Registered
Hi -
We're looking at replacing an IBM PC kiosk with a new iMac, but we need to be able to lock it down and preferably lock the browser (safari or omniweb, preferably) into full-screen or at least maximized mode.

I found some good instructions here for locking down:
http://hale.seattleschools.org/~tonyh/secure_jag.htm

but haven't found anything for making the browser run full-screen.

Also, is there a way to limit users to a specific list of websites?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. :)

Have you decided on a browser? I'm pretty sure that M$ Internet Explorer has a full screen mode, as well as Netscape/Mozilla.
In these browsers, it is possible to prevent writing to the favourites/bookmarks and prefence files by changing the permissions on these preference files to read-only (make sure you take ownership of them, otherwise the user can use their own login password to take them back) - this will prevent users from mucking with Browser settings.
Find the files you want to secure, select them, and use Cmd+I to bring up the info. Go to "permissions"
and use these to change the owner to an Admin, and set permissions to read for everybody (User, Group and Other)

Okay, unless the OS X versions are radically different from the OS 9 versions (which they aren't), neither IE nor NS 7 have a "full screen" mode like F11 in Windows. And I'm using both right now.

However, you can write a Javascript that will make the window fill the screen (easy to do) and disable certain controls (not as easy), then take the person to whatever the home page is.

boi, I've been looking for something like that! YAY!
I hope he gets it out for Panther soooooon.

it works with 10.3 now =)

well, i hope you like it a lot, it's $10 now. however, i must say this... it's *really* good. i like the way it works. support your local developer =)

Back