using firewire hub for two devices simultaneously

travelgz

Registered
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has similar experience with this. I have a tibook that has only 2 GB left, running Jaguar. I want to edit a video that is at least 60 minutes, and the final product gets stored back on a dv tape. So I can read from the dv cam through firewire, but I can't write to the harddisk for lack of room. I am wondering if I can buy a firewire hub and plug in an external firewire harddisk and the dv cam. What would actually happen is that while I am capturing the movie from dv cam, the information is saved to the external harddisk, meaning, both firewire devices will be in use from the hub that is attached to the single firewire port on my tibook.

Has anyone done this? Can this be done? Or would the sharing of the hub not allow the capture of the dv cam video?

Thanks,
G

Firewire is what SCSI always wanted to be but never could.

Of course you can... um, do that.

Dear all,
sorry this is not a reply to the above question, but thought this was the nearest forum for my problem. It may help others too.
I have an external HD (LaCie 120 Gb d2 Firewire) which, like most external drives attached to a Mac, like to be unmounted before the Mac is turned off. The problem comes when the Mac goes into sleep mode before I can unmount the external drive. The hardware complains through a message. My questions are:

1 - what is the actual consequence of this incorrect unmounting sequence ? Hardware damage ? Others ?
2 - is there any possibility to make the Mac unmount the external HD before it enters the sleep mode, or else to prevent it from sleep when the external HD is connected (without necessarily act on the Energy Save control panel) ?

Thank you all for your help
Best regards
alessandro

as an answer to the first post: why don't you just connect your disk to the computer and your camera to the disk? then in FCP set your scratch disk for Capture, Render and so on to the external disk --

As for the second question, I have a 20 Gig firewire drive attached to my computer at work and never have to unplug it before shutting down. That's the beauty of firewire--it's "hot swappable" meaning you can unplug it from your computer without having to restart. Maybe you have a software/firewire driver problem or a PCI card problem with your firewire port? i would need more info about your system and problem to say more but maybe these thoughts will spur some discussion.

As for the first question, it's my impression that the firewire connection is so fast that it could presumably save the data to your camcorder and firewire drive simultaneously if your software supports that sort of thing. You are merely performing a procedure called "mirroring" which many companies do to back up files. Whatever is saved to one drive gets automatically and simultaneously saved to the other.

Back