Using GDI printer on with Mac OS X

aleiner

Registered
I have a Dell 3010cn printer that is a GDI printer. I recently got a MacBook and want to get the printer to work with it. I have tried various drivers to no avail. Since the print has a network connection, i tried connecting it that way using the generic drivers but thats didn't work. I am starting to think there there is truly no way to get this to work. It would be great if you had any suggestions or a possible work around that i could try.

In the case of the Dell 1110 the printer is actually a Samsung. The Samsung drivers work just fine. The printer is USB.

What you need to do is determine who actually makes this thing (Dell does NOT make this printer). The original vendor usually supports the Mac (not all but most). After that just load the drivers and go.

Good Luck,

RonMan

MisterMe,

It proves that not all GDI printers are paperweights. If you can determine the original manufacturer, then drivers for Mac OS X may be available.

If you can't determine the manufacturer, then yes you have a paperweight.

RonMan

It proves that not all GDI printers are paperweights. ...
The OP does not have a GDI printer, in general. He has a specific model GDI printer, the Dell 3010cn, which is a paperweight. No amount of conjecture, pontificating, or philosophying will change that.

i have been trying to figure out who makes the printer and the model number so i can get drivers that way but i havent been able to find anything and dell is of course useless.

i have been trying to figure out who makes the printer and the model number so i can get drivers that way but i havent been able to find anything and dell is of course useless.
If you followed the links I gave you to the Linux Foundation for your printer and the link to the Samsung-made Dell 1110, then you know that the opensource community has the Samsung-made Dell well in hand. However, your model remains a mystery. If the entire Linux community hasn't yet figured it out, then there is no dishonor in your giving up on it.

i am aware that the linux foundation lists this printer as a paper weight, an oversized paperweight at that, but call me stubborn. obviously if nothing can be done, nothing can be done. i would like to use all possible resources before i go out and by a new printer.

MisterMe,

It proves that not all GDI printers are paperweights. If you can determine the original manufacturer, then drivers for Mac OS X may be available.

If you can't determine the manufacturer, then yes you have a paperweight.

RonMan

Most GDI printers work with the Gimp-Print drivers included with Mac OS X. You just have to find out which one is closest to the Dell.

i have tried finding out who makes this specific model printer. i have talked to a few people at dell all of which are retarded. if any of you know which model the 3010cn matches up to (who makes it and what model number) that would be great

Back