Using IrDA and cellphone to connect to the net?

phatsharpie

Futuristic Robotic Cat
Is it possible to use the IrDA port on a TiBook to connect to the net via a cellphone? Mainly I am thinking of the Ericsson T28World with the DI28 IrDA module, or a Nokia phone with IrDA. I went to Nokia site and I see they have connection software for PCs, but I see in my OS X's modem string settings that there are Nokia and Ericsson settings. Has anyone had success with these phones and TiBook and OS X? Also, is it possible to sync my addressbook with these phones?

Thanks so much for any info!!!

-B

Yes it is possible .. but only if your company supports it. I'm sure Verizon works, possibly AT&T. I'm not positive though, and you'll only get like 14.4 or something.

i don't know how it works in the usa but here in europa it works fine to connect your cellphone with irDA to surf the web. I have a Nokia 6210 with witch I can get up to 32.4 in speed. If you have a GPRS phone here in Europa you get almost ISDN speed, in theory.
I just have one problem, because I have a PB G3 Lombard mac os x doesn't support my IR port (bastards :mad: ) I have to use classic to connect with my cell phone. There's modemscrips for nokia and ericsson in the system as standard witch makes it easy.
Just choose ericsson/nokia as your modem script and connect through IrDA. Also check the 'ignore dailetone' box. Then activate infrared on your phone. That's it. i hope i haven't forgotten anything....:rolleyes:

Good luck

Hey Victor,

I saw the same issue, however read somewhere in a post this little trick. If you have tried, I'm sorry - if not then give it a shot.

Copy the Nokia file from the OS 9 system folder into the OS X Library folder where modem scripts live. It will prompt you to overwrite, say yes because you do want to overwrite (can't get any worse ;)).....

Reconfigure your dialer to use the Nokia script and give it a shot. This worked perfect for me, I am on a Bronze G3/PB 400 FW... Let me know if you have any luck!!

-NM-

"I just have one problem, because I have a PB G3 Lombard mac os x doesn't support my IR port (bastards :mad: ) I have to use classic to connect with my cell phone. There's modemscrips for nokia and ericsson in the system as standard witch makes it easy."

Yes, you can.

With a Nokia, Motorola, or Ericsson that has IrDA, you can dial out to your ISP, but then you 'only' get 9600bps (Voicestream). Do it all the time with my Nokia 8290 and and old Palm 3. Good enough for simple browsing and email. That was then...

Now VoiceStream, (and a bunch of other carriers) have introduced 2.5G services as an interim step to the much-heralded 3G networks of the future; speeds of 'up-to' 144 kbps are possible, although it is unlikely that they would dedicate the whole of their data channel to you as an individual user. Speeds of up to 56k are more likely if you're not moving around too much. If you are, you can expect that rate to drop a bit.

Now for the good stuff. Bluetooth. Apple website. With that little adapter and an available Ericsson T68 ( check the model number) and service w/ Voicestream, you can have 'high-speed' data pretty much anywhere...
The phone's in your pocket or on your desk or in the kitchen pumping 56k packets to your USB port wirelessly. Good for about 10 meters (33 or so feets).

Lovely solution, gonna try it out myself soon with a new iBook.

pk

but... I think I read that os x supports IrDa on the firewire powerbooks with the later updates (10.1.2 I think)... os x doesn't support my IrDA port..
But I'll give it a go to see if it'll work

Thank's for the tip norsemann :)

I keep hearing about this new Bluetooth thing that is supposed to do all of this too. I saw on Apple's website that they are selling a new USB Bluetooth thing that should work with everything. I just got the new Motorola 270C which has Bluetooth on it as well. I haven't tried any of it out yet but it seems like it's gonna be really cool.

Back