using /Network/Users/ for "Users"!!!

Jorace

Registered
I have been trying to set up a netinfo parent/child setup where the child’s home directories are in /Network/Users/

That would seem the obvious place for users on the network to be, No?

Well, it cant be done. (At least that is what the folk at Apple tech told me) It seems that you cant set the users home directories to be "Statically Mounted" at /Network/Users/. Home directories have to be mounted "Dynamically" at /Network/Servers/...

And from there it gets worse... I have my network users home directories on a second 80 gig drive in my server. The drive is called "80giger" in there I created the default home for network users, I called it "NetworkUsers"

So now I got network users successfully logging on to the netinfo Parent server, and there home directory comes up in...

/Network/Servers/ServerName/Volumes/80giger/NetworkUsers/username

Hmmm...Doesn’t

/Network/Users/usename

Seem just a "little" more elegant??

Not to mention that even after more than 6 hours of being on the phone to Apples OSX Server Tech support people (3 different people) over a 2 day period, I was sill unable to get ANYTHING to get mounted Statically at

/Network/Users/
/Network/Applications/
/Network/Library/

It is bad enough that the documentation for OSX Server is as bad as it is, but there Tech support people seem to be trying to set up these systems for the first time themselves.. and reading from the same pdf I have…

If any one has ever successfully set this up, could you PLEASE post or point me to a good howto???

Back