Using NFS to mount /Users.

stakk

Registered
Hello,

I'm not a Mac user yet (hopefully soon), but I'm asking this because I want to make sure it's possible.

I have tried to find an answer to this using google, but I haven't been able to find any simple answer to this (or I have misunderstood something). I presume that it's possible, otherwise it would be irrational.

Anyway the question is:

Let's imagine a situation that we have a Linux Box running nfsd. The Linux Box contains /home/userx -directories.
Now I want to use that Linux Boxes /home/userx -directory as Mac OS X /users nfs mounted homedirectory tree (in other words: /users -directory on Linux /home via NFS).

Now, let's assume that everything is set up in Linux Box.

What needs to be done in Mac OS X that when I boot it up, it automatically mounts the /users -directory as users' home when one logs in (is there any HOWTO available)?

One other thing that I didn't find was, the specification of directory tree of Mac OS X (same kind of documentation as Filesystem Hierarchy Standard).

cheers,
Ari

..and one more thing, it's about The HFS+ -filesystem, is it journalling filesystem?

Stakk:

I can only answer your last question. HFS+ is journalled, although it was just recently added.

There are a few ways to do this, yo ucan either hard mount the remote directory, exported from you Linux Box. You would have to make /Users a link to /Volume/Users. There is aGUI front end to NFS available if you don't want to edit your
/etc/fstab file.

You can enable NIS, if your Linux Box is configured as a NIS server and make better use of automounter, server, this would mean only the necessary parts of of what need to be mounted actually get mounted.

Back