Using Open Directory

ddtburg

Registered
I apologize for my "ignorant" posts. I'm at a small school, self taught ALL of my networking/server work. I've been working for a couple of weeks on and off to get this new server too work and need help. Thanks in advance.

Here's what we had:
We had standalone computers that had an admin and student client. Our students would log on to the student side and do their work. We have a standalone server that they go to to save away from the workstation they are on. It was a huge pain if we wanted to make adjustment to the account; printers, software, etc...

I just figured out how to connect 10.4 computers to OD. We have adobe and microsoft software on the client workstations. Now when I log on to a workstation using OD I can't run this software. Can I copy one of the student home folders from a workstation to the server and somehow use it?

Please help.

Thanks

What server software version are you using? Have you enabled the applications in the user accounts within Workgroup Manager? Do the users now have server based accounts or are they still local? Did you apply restrictive rules to student accounts if they are still local? It is a little unclear as to how you have set up your server... If it is just a mount then this shouldn't affect the way things work on the computers if local accounts are in use.... but...

Server accounts will affect the way Microsoft Office functions. There is a necessary server tweak to make the Office suite function in a networked environment. Adobe applications will require a multiple user license. If you do not have the required number of licenses Adobe Photoshop, say, will work on one computer but will recognize if unlicensed versions are attempting to run. Microsoft apps also run 'serial number' scans across a network and, again, MSOffice will not run on more than one computer if the necessary server settings have not been done.

A little more information may yield some more helpful advice. It's a big jump from standalone to a networked environment.

Back