Using Panther 7B74 (or other) as primary OS?

theNonsuch

Registered
A software developer who is a client of mine surprised me last week with the gift of a dev seed. That makes me glad I did a good job on his project... :)

I was wondering: now that I have access to dev seeds, is the later builds of Panther stable and usable enough for basic day-to-day usage?

I did try an archive and install on my current installed OS (after cloning the entire drive to another partition - I'm not dumb!), but when Panther restarted, every single application crashed on startup. I think it might have to do with the fact that I'm mounting my Users folder into place via rc... but besides that, I may try running it in parallel to my Jaguar partition, if it's workable...

Thoughts? Success or failure stories?

I was an idiot and used Panther developer builds starting from 7A179 as my primary OS. But 7B74 is stable and bug-free enough to use daily.

lol ricky....same here...since 7A179 ive basically been upgrading to every version..im about to install 7B74

Me too.... I installed it (7A179) on my smaller partition but then used that one as my main OS. I've upgraded every version with no probs. Every time I upgrade I've done a complete wipe and clean install.

...and did the same as Steven, wipe and re-install for each build, until about 7b68 when I started doing upgrade rather than go through the hassle of setting it all up again.

Incidentally, I use Panther on a small 8gb as my main Os but I still have my 40gb main drive with all the Apps, data and 10.2.6 on, that way if a build does turn out to be seriously skewed I dont lose everything.

Once Panther goes GM/Final I can replace Jaguar.

Maybe...

I've been using Panther as my main system for quite a few builds now. I'm always prepared with backups if the un-speakable should happen, though. There have been bugs in every build, of course, and even 7B74 isn't perfect. It'll take a few builds to iron out the last bugs (plus the ones introduced with 7B74). With the next builds, I'm expecting Apple to change to 'no-upgrade-mode' for Panther betas, as they did with Jaguar Final Candidates, which means that every upgrade will be an Archive & Install.

I wish I could :S I can't even run it because it's incompatible with my video card. Apple seems to be working on the nVidia drivers because in the last build I got 10 kernel panics all caused by the nVidia drivers, so I hope they get this worked out before the GM.

To me, Panther is completly unusable until this is fixed.

I would rather not buy a new vid card if I don't have to.

Yes, BTW, here are the builds I've gone through...
7A179
7B23
7B39
7B53
7B74

And each time I've done an archive and install. I heard that just plain upgrading gives you problems...

Back