using SMB -> Windows shares

hazmat

Rusher of Din
On my desk at work I have an NT PC and a G4 with OS X 10.1. I successfully connected via SMB from the Mac to a shared drive under NT. Way too cool. :) But the Mac left in the NT directory a directory called .Trashes, a file called ._.Trashes, and a file called .DS_Store. Why does it do this? Can it be prevented?

Thanks.

-Ken

I'm Beta testing Dave 3.0b4 right now, and without breaking my NDA all I can say is It doesn't leave those files on SMB machines when it browses them.

DJ XTC

P.S. The final for Dave should be out somewhere around the end of Nov, or early Dec.

is Dave not a public beta? I downloaded it from www.thursby.com. So do spill all your discoveries...

anyway, I've had the same problem with the built in SMB client, and I'm trying to write a DOS batch file to clear up after me. Only problem is, the permissions are a pain in the arse to get round. Suggestions would be welcome before my anti-Mac sysadmin has my nuts for garters.

Originally posted by tismey
is Dave not a public beta? I downloaded it from www.thursby.com. So do spill all your discoveries...

anyway, I've had the same problem with the built in SMB client, and I'm trying to write a DOS batch file to clear up after me. Only problem is, the permissions are a pain in the arse to get round. Suggestions would be welcome before my anti-Mac sysadmin has my nuts for garters.

Yeah, but that sucks. You shouldn't HAVE to clean up after it. Should be clean. I shouldn't have to buy other software since SMB is included. Not sure what to tell you about a batch file. I will play around and see what consistencies I can find and let you know. FYI: I was an anti-Mac sysadmin as well, until I played with OS X. :) If he is a Unix guy, have him play with it. If he's a Windows-only guy, well then I guess there's no hope. :)

Btw, is that icon Alternative Tentacles?

-Ken

I'm pretty sure my sysadmin has a chip in his head from mr Gates, the way he talks up NT....

And yes, it's the AT bat for sure. You a fan?

Back