Using tcsh - C shell - what's the difference?

dlarmour

Registered
Hi

What is the difference between the C shells and the bourne shells?

If I wanted to change from tcsh to bash for instance, how do I do this and is there any affect? Can I do this and still run all the software the same or does that change too? Do the variables and their values change, such as PATH?

Thanx for the insight.

David

The biggest difference is in the scripting language. Some of the shell variables might be a bit different, too, but the major ones are mostly the same. Setting them has slightly different syntax, though. Other than that, usage is essentially the same, except for a few minor details. For instance, tab completion works a little differently. It's really not worth the trouble to switch to Bash full time unless you plan to do short scripts at the command line. You'll just have to spend a lot of time rewriting your initialization scripts, and getting the behavior back to how you like it. Out of the box, I find tcsh most usable for interactive use.

David, there are many thick books on this subject - the man pages on your Mac do a pretty good job.

If you were to open a terminal window, & were using the default tcsh, you couls enter:

#bash<CR>

and be in the bash shell. To the best of my knowledge, none of the environment stuff set by tcsh would be valid anymore.

I am an Instructor for UNIX storage software & once had a kernel programmer as a student who made his system unaccessable by ignoring my cautions to be careful about changing his shell stuff, so be careful

Also, probably the cleanest way to change your shell is via NetInfo Manager.

I like Bash, possibly because I'm a bit more used to it from Linux (it's the default in every distribution I've used recently). I think it's a good thing that Apple made it the default in Panther.

Back