Using WebDAV for file sharing

akimbo

Registered
Hi,

I'm setting up an OS X (10.3) server for file sharing. I'll use AFP and SMB for my internal network clients.

I also want to enable offsite users access to these same shares via WebDAV, so that they can mount them on their desktops and read / write / drag as if they are local drives.

I'm not sure how to configure this. It seems that OS X only offers WebDAV access for folders that are set up as web sites, but I'm not sure this is the case. Anyway, I'm new to OS X server... any help setting up the above configuration will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Doug

Hi Elander,

Thanks for the document referenced above.

Is this the recommended procedure for working within OS X Server? It seems like Server allows for a GUI-based setup of WebDAV services through the Workgroup Manager / Server Admin apps. Also of setting up accounts, etc. So I'm wondering if it's possible to use the built-in system, rather than using Terminal to build the encrypted password files, etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for the quick response!

-- Doug

OK, I'm making some progress.

I believe I can set the same folder up as both an AFP share and a Web site, so that it can be accessed via WebDAV. So I've set up a test case (using OS X Server's built-in tools) and am experimenting with it.

The problem I'm now having is that when logged in to a WebDAV folder as a client via the Finder, I'm not able to add or change any folders or files.

I've set the folder up as a realm, and given "everyone" permission to both browse and author. Yet when I try to create a folder, or change a file, I get the message "The operation could not be completed because you do not have enough access privelages."

Is there somewhere else that I should be setting additional access permissions, or...?

Thanks,
Doug

akimbo said:
Hi Elander,

Thanks for the document referenced above.

Is this the recommended procedure for working within OS X Server? It seems like Server allows for a GUI-based setup of WebDAV services through the Workgroup Manager / Server Admin apps. Also of setting up accounts, etc. So I'm wondering if it's possible to use the built-in system, rather than using Terminal to build the encrypted password files, etc.
-- Doug
No, the document I wrote deals with OS X Client. In OS X Server I'd go with the GUI tools. And, if you feel adventurous, you could even try that in OS X Client. Just copy the Workgroup Manager and Server Admin apps and try. I'm pretty sure I saw someone mentioning that they work on Client too (although I haven't tried that myself).

akimbo said:
OK, I'm making some progress.
I've set the folder up as a realm, and given "everyone" permission to both browse and author. Yet when I try to create a folder, or change a file, I get the message "The operation could not be completed because you do not have enough access privelages."

Is there somewhere else that I should be setting additional access permissions, or...?

Thanks,
Doug

Yeah, you need to change the folders owner to "www", since it is actually Apache that does the writing in it (step 3 in the text I wrote in the linked document above).

um. i found that i needed access for "my" account on my server to be able to change/delete files. i just set the owner/group to www and added my account to www group.

Update: halfway (?) there.

By making www the owner of the folder, I am able to do the following things:
- create a new folder in the WebDAV folder
- copy a document into the WebDAV folder
- delete a new document that I've created

However, I'm NOT able to do the following:
- change the name of a document that I've created (when I try to change the name of a new folder from "untitled folder" to something else, I get an "unexpected error -43")
- save a document into the folder from an application (i.e., save a text file from TextEdit into the WebDAV folder)

But I can create and delete those same files! Anyone have an idea what's going on?

Config: G5 1.8GHz, originally 10.3.7, installed OS X using disk 2, and updated to 10.3.9

Thanks!
Doug

Back