Using Windows USB keyboard with OSX

neuroman

Faithfull Mac USer
I'm using a standard Windows USB keyboard (because 350MHZ iMac's keybd is awfull) . I need to swap Alt & Windows button function, because now Windows button is acting like Command, and I really would like to use Alt (it's obvious) as Command. I did the trick under 9.x, but I have no luck under OSX. I have read the aricle on www. resexcellence.com , but they are poiniting out a rather unsupported utility called QuickConvert ...and it doesnt work: here's a quote:

"I see that someone asked how to modify OS X keyboard mappings. For a long time my inability to do this (I learned to type on a Selectric keyboard, and hate it when shift-period produces > instead of a period) was one thing that kept me from going to OS X full time.

I finally figured out how to do it. A little tedious, but it seems to work like a charm.

1. Locate the file
System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/ Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc. (f you're using more than English, you may have to do this for each language; I haven't tried other languages). For safety, make a copy.

2. The keyboard mapping information is stored in a KCHR resource in that file - but the file has the resources in the data fork. So get a copy of QuickConvert and switch the data fork to a resource fork. Note there's another program out there called QuickConvert which does Mac file and creator type modification; it's a fine program but not what you want.

3. Now run ResEdit and edit the KCHR resource in your copy of Localized.rsrc. Alternatively, create another KCHR resrouce, give it a different name (like "Modified US") and edit that resource. This way you can go back to the original keyboard mappings any time you want.

4. Run QuickConvert again and switch the resource fork back to the data fork.

5. Rename your copy of Localized.rsrc to Localized.old (safety)

6. Rename the modified copy of Localized.rsrc (probably named Localized.rsrc copy) so it is just plain Localized.rsrc, and be sure it's in the right folder (it will be, unless you moved it out).

7. Restart the Mac. You should have your customized keyboard available from the Keyboards system preferences panel. If you edited the one KCHR resource, it will be selected automatically; if you made a copy, you'll have to select it."

Unfortunately, I can't manage to make QuickConvert to do the conversion trick.....any ideas?

Thanx in advance

Back