Using your powerbook outside? FUTURE LCDs?

antonioconte

Registered
I occassionaly like to use my powerbook in the garden to do some simple stuff but find that it's really difficult ot see the screen when its sunny. I have recently purchase a sony digital compact camera, the T11 and it ONLY uses an LCD screen, no viewfinder. Sony seem to have really sorted the issue of viewing the screen out, it seems as though daylight doesn't appear to be a problem, somehow it counteracts with teh daylight and gives the image a slightly negative effect, only slightly but enough to make it really visible, it's amazing!

Image if apple applied the same technology to their screens, how cool would that be? Lets be honest, we see people in adverts using their laptops on the beach etc and I for one always shout out, "AS IT THAT'S POSSIBLE!"

The LCD screen on digital cameras is very small and thus isn't nearly the drain on battery as it would be if expanded to PowerBook display size; secondly, the form factor of your camera allows for a brighter backlight than does the wafer-thin lid of a PowerBook.

So my guess is, it's just brighter :)

No, it's not because the Sony LCD on the T1 is brighter... It's actually some technology that works real well in sunlight... The Palm m515 did the same thing... the m505 would be washed out in sunlight but the m515 performed very well.

Don't quote me on this, but I think it's called transflective LCD, somehow performing very well in sunlight as well as normal backlit operation. It's similar to the 'old-fashioned' black-and-white (or black-and-green) LCDs like digital watches in that the brighter the ambient light, the clearer the display.

I also thought it would be cool if Apple were able to put this LCD technology in the powerbook line... it would distinguish them from the 'others' in having a unique feature no one else has. At least if they put it on the 12" powerbook, since the marketing video showed that photojournalist in the desert taking pictures outdoors and transferring his photos via bluetooth cellphone.

-Anthony

start a poll on what? If ppl would like the powerbook screens to be more suitable for the sun? I think the results would be clear, no?
My ppl on work wonder why I am not working outside under the bright sun. I have a laptop, a wireless connection, long battery life.. Yeah, the sun really messes up with the screen..

ok, another reason, I'm going to be doing some panoramic work outside and it would be great to render on the fly - don't you think? Come on, surely you can see how productive this could be?

game boy advance needed lots of ambient light at the right angle, as it had no backlight - it was reflective lcd

Back