utilities folder problems

pds

Registered
I love EKS and don't use Classic at all, but what follows is enough to make me cry.

I set up finder with a button to the shared folder in users, makes getting things back and forth real easy.

Then I wanted to put utilities up there too, I'm tired of going through applications everytime I need something that's not on the dock.

Anyway, a little slip of the hand-eye coordination and the whole utilities folder wound up in the shared folder ? no warning, no message, no copying, it just moved.

No problem, I'll just move it back, right?

not!

I tried to drag it out and it only wants to copy, not to move, but it won't do that either because of "one or more of the items have special permissions."

Of course trying to drag it cancelled my best option, a quick undo, but that was not my first instinct.

What happened to my kind, forgiving operating system?! Is Apple trying to force unix down my throat? Am I going to have to use root and psuedo commands that I don't know just because of a shaky thumb on the trackpad? What if I don't want to learn it? I'll have to pay someone to do it for me!? Is this some kind of geek plot to take over the world? Aaaggghhh...

oops forgot myself, I thought this was that other board. ;^)

So I'll just compose myself and leave the thing in shared with an icon on the finder window... no blood no foul.

Unless someone has a better idea.

sandy

Try using a utility like Batchmod (from Versiontracker.com) to set all the permissions so you own lot. Then you should be able to move the folder back to applications.

You should be able to find the guilty parties (the ones with dodgy permissions) if needs be by trying to drag a few back at a time.

thanks, I'll try that.

Why doesn't X just move those things it can rather than abort the whole process. This happens with the trash too. Why won't it trash everything except the ones I don't have permission for.

I think I will ditch the shared user folder, as it is the culprit in all these permission confusions

sandy

Back