Various Xserve RAID issues

Shookster

Registered
I'm running two Xserve RAIDs with two machines and a Qlogic Sanbox 1400 switch. These are the problems I'm running into:

1. The controllers have been software RAID-ed into one drive. Sometimes the software RAID drives will not mount and it will say the RAID is degraded. Restarting the RAIDs fixes this normally, and sometimes restarting the computer being used can fix this issue. Occasionally, unmounting and remounting will fix this, but more times than not, the drives will refuse to unmount (see #2).

2. The drives sometimes refuse to unmount. Strangely, I can switch off the RAIDs and write files to the drive for a long time afterwards. I'm not sure if the files actually ended up on the drive in the end or not, as they were test files.

3. Just now, I got an error when trying to write to the drive: "Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8065)". This is the first time that had happened. That was after unmounting, then remounting after it said the RAID was degraded.

4. Sometimes, one machine will write files to the disk and the other machine can't see them. This is not temporary either. After a while, you can see the files but they appear without icons (just the filename is listed) and if you click on it, it disappears. This is not a permissions problem as far as I can tell.

There are no hardware errors being reported by RAID Admin. Please let me know what other information you need.

Thanks.

Back