verify permissions fail

frailer

Registered
Got some sort of error message when trying to verify permissions on a colleague's machine. panicked and missed it...stupid!. had no choice but to quit Disk utility despite warning of possible consequences. Rebooted OK; no apparent damage. This is an UNmaintained G5 tower (10.3.9). Have never had a permissions verify not run. Is it too scrambled to run it properly? It's a bit slow, but fairly problem free. Don't know what to do from here. What is the overall risk of running fsck? Would this help?

Well to be honest if I got that message the first thing I'd do would be to make sure I had a current backup of all data in the machine, just in case.

Next, if you open disk utility again, select the drive and look for S.M.A.R.T status at the bottom. It should say "Verified", if not your HD has problems. Also listen for any odd clicking sounds which would suggest a bad HD. You could also try the Hardware Test disk which likely came with your machine to check out the HD.

I'll leave someone else to give you advice on fsck, but as I said, backup would be my first instinct, just in case.

'Got some sort of error message when trying to verify permissions'

'Is it too scrambled to run it properly?' - no.
'What is the overall risk of running fsck?' - none.
'Would this help?' - possibly.

Suggestion:
Launch (run, open) 'Disk Utility', and perform a 'Repair Disk Permission'.
Once the report is presented, place the mouse cursor in the reports' text box, click the mouse button, do a 'Command A' ('Disk Utility' 'Edit, Select All' menu item), do a 'Command C' ('Disk Utility' 'Edit, Copy' menu item), and then paste (Command - V', or 'Safari' [or equivalent web browser] 'Edit, Paste' menu item) the information into a reply to this forums' thread.

If you prefer a GUI, the "repair disk" feature on your install disk will do the exact same thing.

Not exactly. You take any extensions, drivers, etc. out of the equation. And you can use it when your computer won't start up normally.

Back