Very Disappointed with Firefox

Great! Thanks for the replies, folks! Will definitely check out Camino. Gotta be better than Firefox. LOL I still have yet to find a browser that I like better than Safari. Maybe Camino will be a first! :)

Camino has more of a Safari feel to it. Being used to FF it gets annoying sometimes, but nothing I can't adjust to. I do like it though. :)

Whoa. Downloaded Camino yesterday and have been a VERY happy Camino user ever since. Man ... and I thought Safari was fast! Camino ROCKS. :)

I dl'ed Camino and it seemed ok,,,until I visited a message board I always go to, it has a smilie set similar to the one here, yet about 50, with mostly animated ones, the machine bogged down like I was using Windows Xp again.

I could not even open the system menu. I eventually used force quit on Camino and then visited the same site with both Firefox and Safari, no issues. I then tested it on a smilie website, same thing.

Camino, at least for me, has issues with animations. If someone would care to test it and compare, please do. I used this site, as it has a bunch of animated laughing smilie gif's.

http://www.mysmilies.com/?cat=laughing

BTW, I used Camino Version 2005081808 (0.9a2+).

My machine is a G5 1.8 with 2 gig ram.

Camino does render a lot slower on the site you used as an example, than the others I tested (Shiira, Safari, FireFox & Mozilla)

Camino does seem to be the only one that slows down, but not quite to the point of doing a "force quit".

I'm running 10.3.9 and Camino 0.8.4

thewelshman said:
Camino does render a lot slower on the site you used as an example, than the others I tested (Shiira, Safari, FireFox & Mozilla)

Camino does seem to be the only one that slows down, but not quite to the point of doing a "force quit".

I'm running 10.3.9 and Camino 0.8.4

I'm running 10.4.2.

I did not let it run it's course so to speak. Once everything slowed I just wanted Camino to stop, but I did let it go for 30 seconds, which should be plenty of time to load any type of page.

Did it cause your machine to slow or just the browser? I could even drop the main 'apple' menu, without playing around. I just had the spinning colored wheel.

Its just Camino that goes slow, its menus are unresponsive, drag and resize get slower and slower. In fact I'm writting this through Shiira whilst Camino is almost at a standstil.

This seems to be a problem with multithreading withing the application.

I've never had any problems with Firefox on my Powerbook G4. It has been great. I had tons of browsing issues when I was using Safari...and since have become a permanant user of Firefox for browsing.

Most of the time I use Firefox as causes less issues and I can use FF on the Windoze receptacle at work. Having said that FF takes an age to load and start, I would like them to fix that.

For instance, I can Laucnch FF, then start all the other browsers one by one, they all come up long before FF.

Jim W said:
I dl'ed Camino and it seemed ok,,,until I visited a message board I always go to, it has a smilie set similar to the one here, yet about 50, with mostly animated ones, the machine bogged down like I was using Windows Xp again.

I could not even open the system menu. I eventually used force quit on Camino and then visited the same site with both Firefox and Safari, no issues. I then tested it on a smilie website, same thing.

Camino, at least for me, has issues with animations. If someone would care to test it and compare, please do. I used this site, as it has a bunch of animated laughing smilie gif's.

http://www.mysmilies.com/?cat=laughing

BTW, I used Camino Version 2005081808 (0.9a2+).

My machine is a G5 1.8 with 2 gig ram.

I haven't had any issues with Camino like you described. In fact, I haven't any issues at *all* with Camino. But maybe I just haven't been to the right (or wrong?) sites. I'll take your word for it on the above site. I was going to test it myself and click on the link ... but I'm scared. I don't want my computer crashing/freezing! LOL :eek:

DJ Dylan said:
I've never had any problems with Firefox on my Powerbook G4. It has been great. I had tons of browsing issues when I was using Safari...and since have become a permanant user of Firefox for browsing.
Let me guess: You're running Tiger, right? That's probably why. For some reason, test results show that Firefox runs best with Tiger, whereas Safari runs best with Panther. Camino, I think, runs well on both.

Amie said:
I haven't had any issues with Camino like you described. In fact, I haven't any issues at *all* with Camino. But maybe I just haven't been to the right (or wrong?) sites. I'll take your word for it on the above site. I was going to test it myself and click on the link ... but I'm scared. I don't want my computer crashing/freezing! LOL :eek:

:p

I didn't want to rain on the Camino parade, but just felt I needed to point this out. I used it for less than 15 minutes and had this problem.

I think with computer software, espcially browsers, it comes down to personal preference. They will all have their own little 'bugs', but bottom line it comes down to what you are comfortable with. :)

Jim W said:
:p

I didn't want to rain on the Camino parade, but just felt I needed to point this out. I used it for less than 15 minutes and had this problem.

I think with computer software, espcially browsers, it comes down to personal preference. They will all have their own little 'bugs', but bottom line it comes down to what you are comfortable with. :)
No worries. You're not raining on my Camino parade. I've never had any problems with Camino whatsoever. Still a very happy Camino user. Sorry it didn't work out for you, though. :D

I never had any issues with Firefox in panther or tiger. I always found Safari to be too slow and it had a "lightweight" feel in terms of options. One of the main things I like about Firefox so much is Adblock. It makes it so easy to kill annoying flash ads, animated gifs, etc. I remember the closest Safari equivalent of it, PithHelmet, slowing Safari down with its content filtering. Not sure if that's still the case, but due to how nice Adblock is and how FireFox seems "just right" to me, I've been using it as my primary browser on both OS X and Windows.

With the Firefoxy utility, I don't think Firefox's UI looks that bad. Then again, I'm not too picky on my UIs either after having dealt with OS X, Windows, and Linux one tends to get pretty used to having to adapt to different environment UI's ;).

Drizzt said:
I never had any issues with Firefox in panther or tiger. I always found Safari to be too slow and it had a "lightweight" feel in terms of options. One of the main things I like about Firefox so much is Adblock. It makes it so easy to kill annoying flash ads, animated gifs, etc. I remember the closest Safari equivalent of it, PithHelmet, slowing Safari down with its content filtering. Not sure if that's still the case, but due to how nice Adblock is and how FireFox seems "just right" to me, I've been using it as my primary browser on both OS X and Windows.

With the Firefoxy utility, I don't think Firefox's UI looks that bad. Then again, I'm not too picky on my UIs either after having dealt with OS X, Windows, and Linux one tends to get pretty used to having to adapt to different environment UI's ;).
Camino also has a nice ad-block feature. Just click on Camino Preferences and check the box next to Block Pop-Ups. Safari also has this feature.

Back