very slow internet with leopard

kevinwilson

Registered
hi guys,

i am an absolute novice when it comes to macs so any help please give an absolute idiot proof description of what to do.

I have just bought a macbook brand new

I have got an internet with telefonica in spain which is 3mb.

my internet seems to be painfully slow taking up to 20 seconds to load a page, which it has done from the start. once you have got onto a website you can for example watch a video which runs at a good speed.

my modem is an inalambrico xavi which i am not sure is the problem or not.

i tested the conection with a pc and the pc ran perfectly

i also tested my ipod touch and it let me put the 128 code but then would not let me connect for some reason.

i have tried setting up my mac using opendns as the dns server but it goes to a opendns search page sometimes instead of going to the website i am trying to get onto to.

with the code turned off on the router the ipod touch works but the macbook is no faster.

Is an AirPort Express Base Station an actual router which i could use instead of my current one and would this solve the problem

please please please someone help me

thank you guys

kev

Hi Kevin,

I've written up some instructions on how to fix slow internet issues on Leopard.

OpenDNS will return search results only when the site you're trying to get to doesn't exist.

Make sure you're creating a new network location in System Preferences => Network when changing the DNS servers. Leopard will not allow you to change the default name server if you're using DHCP, i.e. allowing the router to setup all your internet settings.

Thus, adding DNS servers onto the Automatic network location, will do nothing to help you browsing speed.

Good luck,

Ben

it was the router not compatible with the mac fully. if anyone is having this problem dont piss about like i did changing settings etc just tell your internet provider you want a router which will work with the mac. i had xeon or something before now have zygel and we are up and running 100% with telefonica spain

Back